Sign in to follow this  

Feedback Roadclub Tech Demo (Updated!)

This topic is 4715 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Roadclub is a classic top-down racer inspired by old classics like supercars and death rally. Download, check screenshots and get more info here (This game uses real physics so the first two cars can be difficult to handle in the beginning. Choose the 3rd car first to learn the handling of the game easier.) Older members may remember our Street Cars demo releases a year ago. Well, we've used the last year to rework it all into a much better game. This is yet another early release since we don't have all the stuff back in but you can run a time trial race with one of 3 cars and on 3 different tracks with different weather conditions. Feedback is appreciated. We mainly want to know if it works at all and how low you can go on hardware before the game isn't fun to play anymore. There some known issues in this release which we'll try to fix for the next version: - ALT-TAB and taskswitching doesn't work yet due to a problem in the graphics. Will be fixed in the next version. - Apparently, having Trillian running causes the game to crash when pressing select in arcade->menugarage. No other programs seem to cause this so it must somehow be Trillian causing it. EDITED NOTE: It worked on a: AMD Duron 800 MHz 128 MB RAM Geforce 2 MX 64 MB Video Ram/ATI Radeon 7200 64 MB Video Ram At this point 64 MB Video Ram seems to be required. Let us know if you can play it well on a card with 32 MB or if you can make it work on a lower end computer than the one specified above. Especially the processor speed is interesting! [Edited by - Lightstrike on January 19, 2005 8:05:28 AM]

That's really cool! I was making a game that was almost exactly like yours, but in java. I quit like 1/3 of the way through though because it got really annoying trying to program a full game in java (no operator overloading, stuff like that). I am now moving to c++ and liking it a lot more. Maybe I will continue it in c++ once I get better at it. Good luck!

Yeah c++ is great for games. I really like the structure you get with object-oriented programming.

Edit: Sorry for the personal message. Please test the game and tell us what you think and how it worked on your hardware. We want to know how low you can go and still play the game okay.

[Edited by - Lightstrike on January 3, 2005 1:05:58 PM]

Cool game, it looks moutch like what I am planing on making when I learn enough. I remember the Streets cars demo, and I see the resemblance. The game runs nicly on my system (AMD XP 2600+, gForce4 Ti) The handling of the cars seems a bit easy, the only car I got to oversteer was the 4WD, and that was only when turning.

I am going to test the game some more when I get time to it.

Quote:
NOTE: It may require a P4 1 GHz and a Geforce 3 equivalent videocard. If cars act weird the physics are updated too seldom because of low framerate. We will make some corrections to this later.
Why does it need such big requirements? For a top-down racer like that any D3D-capable card should be fine - even a classic Voodoo! And why the huge CPU requirements - 500MHz should be adequate. I understand this is a prototype and therefore not optimised, but to need such massively exagerrated specs (i think) implies a very slow choice of algorithms. How many polygons are on screen, and how many times is physics updated per second? Does it do one update for every 0.01s for example or work on a variable timestep - the former is normally preferred since it makes things more predictable.

It does look sweet though - I can't test it right now but will try soon hopefully.

Quote:

Why does it need such big requirements? For a top-down racer like that any D3D-capable card should be fine - even a classic Voodoo! And why the huge CPU requirements - 500MHz should be adequate. I understand this is a prototype and therefore not optimised, but to need such massively exagerrated specs (i think) implies a very slow choice of algorithms. How many polygons are on screen, and how many times is physics updated per second? Does it do one update for every 0.01s for example or work on a variable timestep - the former is normally preferred since it makes things more predictable.

This is why we want you to test it. We don't know how low you can go in hardware. It didn't work very well on a p3 667 mhz with geforce 2 gts though.

It works on a variable timestep and that is the thing I meant we should correct. The hefty graphics card requirement is due to the way we draw the map. We've managed to optimize it quite well compared to the requirements it had in the beginning but we will make further optimizations or even change drawing method if too many can't play it. We need your feedback to know how many have trouble with it.

Hi there,

It's nice to hear that your project has been going well. This new version is much more fun.

Your collision handling is much better (better than the old one that i've coded :) ), I'm glad to have been able to help you get through R5.

It works on my Radeon 7200 which is the equivalent of a Geforce2 so you can lower your specs.

Good luck finishing this game, any potential distributers?

Hi, great that you like it. I hope you're not too bothered by our change in collision handling system. And we really appreciated your help with R5.

Great that it worked on the radeon 7200. Strange that the Geforce 2 GTS had trouble then. Maybe the radeon handles this kind of drawing better.

We haven't contacted any distributors yet but we've had a look around and Reflexive Arcade seems like a good choice for the full marketing package but less money. Otherwise www.bmtmicro.com seems good if we only want the payment handled. Why do you ask?

Quote:
Original post by Lightstrike
Otherwise www.bmtmicro.com seems good if we only want the payment handled. Why do you ask?

I remember you were talking about going commercial and since you've been putting a lot of effort into making the game look and feel very professional (new menus, new graphics) i thought you would be also trying to find a publisher. I hope you get some profit from your hard work.

The mist is meant to be challenging at high speeds. Even the opponents will keep their speed down so they have time to react. We thought it was an innovative way to use mist in a game like this. It's no good for record time runs but it gives a new kind of race. What do you think about that?

Yeah people have no idea how much work we've put down in this game. It would be great to get something back for it. It's taken around 5000 hours so far for two men in 3 years. There is a lot more ready than this demo shows though. When the AI is back you'll see a quick development in features in the following alphas.

I've also found it works well on a Duron 800Mhz, 128Mb RAM, Geforce2 MX 64MB.

A few problems though:

- i can't turn while i'm breaking.
- handbrake doesn't work

Wow, great. My P3 must suck if it went well on that hardware.

Does those problems apply to all cars on all tracks? Depending on the grip against the surface the tires might lock and give bad traction, causing the car to understeer and not turn.

The handbrake should work, it might not make the tail of the car lose grip as easy as you might expect though. It's a problem that bothers us, and its hard to fix.

Quote:
Original post by Ilici
I've also found it works well on a Duron 800Mhz, 128Mb RAM, Geforce2 MX 64MB.

A few problems though:

- i can't turn while i'm breaking.
- handbrake doesn't work

Which car, which surface, etc? Weight transfer is modeled. The fact that traction gained from an increased load on a tire is not linear is modeled. It takes some getting used to how they drive before you can definitely say "I cant do X".

Some cars have stronger brakes and stickier tires than others so the handbrake may not always be strong enough to lock the rear tires. Also the combination of lateral and longitudinal tire forces (traction circle) is not refined at this point, and definitely needs some adjustments which would assist the handbraking effort.

This could be influencing the difficulty in turning while braking as well, as it's possible slamming the brakes on gets the front tires near lock: and thus they dont have alot of lateral grip left. Its actually accurate for some real cars to push under hard braking (depends on alot of factors), but it may be difficult to visually see what is happening in a top down game.

edit: just tried with the Pheonix and I can definitely turn and brake at the same time.

Worked great on my P4 2.4 Ghz with 256MG Ram Geforce 5200 128 Meg video card.
I loved the particles. I skided and ran off track just to see them :)
Keep up the great work.

Guest Anonymous Poster
can you provide a link to a .ZIP folder. i only saw an installer and i don't trust them ever since one program got stuck on my computer that won't uninstall. wasn't spyware, and its not that i don't trust you, but more people might download if they didn't need to install anything.

This topic is 4715 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.