Feedback Roadclub Tech Demo (Updated!)

Started by
59 comments, last by Locutus2 19 years, 3 months ago
Hi, Roadclub is a classic top-down racer inspired by old classics like supercars and death rally. Download, check screenshots and get more info here (This game uses real physics so the first two cars can be difficult to handle in the beginning. Choose the 3rd car first to learn the handling of the game easier.) Older members may remember our Street Cars demo releases a year ago. Well, we've used the last year to rework it all into a much better game. This is yet another early release since we don't have all the stuff back in but you can run a time trial race with one of 3 cars and on 3 different tracks with different weather conditions. Feedback is appreciated. We mainly want to know if it works at all and how low you can go on hardware before the game isn't fun to play anymore. There some known issues in this release which we'll try to fix for the next version: - ALT-TAB and taskswitching doesn't work yet due to a problem in the graphics. Will be fixed in the next version. - Apparently, having Trillian running causes the game to crash when pressing select in arcade->menugarage. No other programs seem to cause this so it must somehow be Trillian causing it. EDITED NOTE: It worked on a: AMD Duron 800 MHz 128 MB RAM Geforce 2 MX 64 MB Video Ram/ATI Radeon 7200 64 MB Video Ram At this point 64 MB Video Ram seems to be required. Let us know if you can play it well on a card with 32 MB or if you can make it work on a lower end computer than the one specified above. Especially the processor speed is interesting! [Edited by - Lightstrike on January 19, 2005 8:05:28 AM]
Advertisement
yay! congrats to your team Lightstrike, this is progressing really well :)

you doing a internet version? ;)

Everything is better with Metal.

thanks! You mean like a flash version? :)
erm no. Online multiplayer game, like say, Gotham Racing 2.

Everything is better with Metal.

That's really cool! I was making a game that was almost exactly like yours, but in java. I quit like 1/3 of the way through though because it got really annoying trying to program a full game in java (no operator overloading, stuff like that). I am now moving to c++ and liking it a lot more. Maybe I will continue it in c++ once I get better at it. Good luck!
Yeah c++ is great for games. I really like the structure you get with object-oriented programming.

Edit: Sorry for the personal message. Please test the game and tell us what you think and how it worked on your hardware. We want to know how low you can go and still play the game okay.

[Edited by - Lightstrike on January 3, 2005 1:05:58 PM]
I'm just bouncing this once to get more people to see it that didn't have a chance to test it yet.
Cool game, it looks moutch like what I am planing on making when I learn enough. I remember the Streets cars demo, and I see the resemblance. The game runs nicly on my system (AMD XP 2600+, gForce4 Ti) The handling of the cars seems a bit easy, the only car I got to oversteer was the 4WD, and that was only when turning.

I am going to test the game some more when I get time to it.
Thanks. The handling is supposed to be easy on the other cars. Some people needs the easy cars to appreciate the game :)
Quote:NOTE: It may require a P4 1 GHz and a Geforce 3 equivalent videocard. If cars act weird the physics are updated too seldom because of low framerate. We will make some corrections to this later.
Why does it need such big requirements? For a top-down racer like that any D3D-capable card should be fine - even a classic Voodoo! And why the huge CPU requirements - 500MHz should be adequate. I understand this is a prototype and therefore not optimised, but to need such massively exagerrated specs (i think) implies a very slow choice of algorithms. How many polygons are on screen, and how many times is physics updated per second? Does it do one update for every 0.01s for example or work on a variable timestep - the former is normally preferred since it makes things more predictable.

It does look sweet though - I can't test it right now but will try soon hopefully.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement