purchasing a new compiler...

Started by
13 comments, last by ProPuke 19 years, 3 months ago
I have been using the intro edition of visual studio 6 for a long time but I lost it when my pc crashed. Now im using visual studio 5 and it really sucks. I was going to download the visual studio 2005 beta but I do not want to install the service packs (and yes, I have a legal copy of windows!). Ive been told though that it slows your system down and just causes more problems then it solves. Is there a way around installing sp2 or does the newer version work better? I don't want to use dev studio because I have heard that it won't compile directx. Im more then willing to pay for the software, but I would like to make sure I was spending my money on exactly what I need... Any suggestions? thanks. ~the Jinx3d1
Advertisement
I've had no problems whatsoever with SP2, and noone I know have either. It doesn't make your pc slower, sure if you keep the built-in firewall running it uses a little resources, but so does any third-party firewall.
For the latest DirectX (December 2004) you need .net 2003 or better. I have installed SP2 on 4 machines with no trouble.
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info
Just get SP2. It's caused me zero problems as of yet and I installed it as soon as it became publicly available.

Then get the C++ Express Beta. It rocks.

Just do it. You know you want to :)

-Auron
I do in home PC repair around my area, and I have had reports of problems with SP2, but theres a simple way around all of them. Don't just download and install SP2. First, do a fresh install of windows, then run windows update. The first thing it should download is SP2. SP2 has messed up some of my clients machines, but it's always fine after I come and install it this way (and make myself $40 in the process!)
well, I ran the windows update, but after it started taking 3 gigs up storage up, I cancelled it and uninstalled what was already done. I haven't been able to find sp2 just by itself. Link?

Can I have just sp2 installed without anything else (except for the .net framework)? How big is it, I only have a 20 gig HD right now and I want to keep as much room as I can on it.

Thanks a lot so far guys.
Take a look @ my sig. Great ide. It uses the standard gnu compiler. All good powerfull (& free) stuff. It's a matter of taste, of course, but I'd op for a nice ansi compiler over any ms one anyday. In my eyes it's better but alot of people seem to hold the contrary view that spending money or using ms betas puts them better off. I don't.
So if you don't feel you need to use any of those ms wizardy things & all the other "helpfull" things that I am sure you get when you decide to pay for an ms compiler then check it out.
Welcome to the open free net
_______________________________ ________ _____ ___ __ _`By offloading cognitive load to the computer, programmers are able to design more elegant systems' - Unununium OS regarding Python
huh? I'm running VC++ Express on my computer without service pack 2...
I'm running Eclipse with GCC. It's all free.

You could also download the free Microsoft compiler (full optimising c++ compiler) and use it with Eclipse, although it's not straight forward.
Thanks alot guys. I Just downloaded MinGW (Thanks propuke) and it seems to be a very good compiler. Im curious though, does it have any problems with Direct X?
What are it's pros and cons?

Petewood, I was actually wondering if you could use the .net tool kit compiler with another ide. It would seem that you just answered my question.

Cheers to all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement