gluax outdated...?

Started by
7 comments, last by JTippetts 19 years, 3 months ago
Ive read before that you shouldn't use glaux anymore. However, I haven't ever not used it before. I tried to compile NeHe's base code and it wasn't found so I did a search for it and found a site that reinstated that. Anyway, what has it been replaced by and what do I need to know in order not to use it?
Advertisement
There are several things that have replaced it, such has OpenIL and SDL. I think there is a version of NeHe's base code that has been converted to SDL for initializing and image loading.
Or you could use GLUT, but you may find the framework is a bit restrictive if you're thinking of coding games.

If you're only concerned with Windows then you could just use the win32 API to setup your window. Loading BMPs is also very simple if you need to do it.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

glaux was quickly written many years ago cira 1998, by sgi as a help to set up windows/load bitmaps etc on windows at the time, though it's not really used anymore (cause its outdated/buggy) it still persists in some old code,
glut replaced it. which in turn hasnt been updated for ages (not counting freeglut)
a modern equivilant to glaux is sdl
I have zero of my own code on this system because my other system crashed. Anyway, I had already written a tga, png and jpg loader which I didn't use the gluax loading functions. I just realized I have been thinking of glu and not gluax. I think I was only using gluax in my windows initialization code. It's about time I think of cross-platform programming anyway.

Ill probably go ahead and use sdl. I know there are some really great libs with is such as sdl.net. However, what do the pros normally use? For example, you won't find sdl.dll in any id directory.

Thanks alot guys.
>>However, what do the pros normally use? For example, you won't find sdl.dll in any id directory.<<

normally they write there own,
ut2004 for linux uses sdl (plus a few other commerical games)
Quote:Original post by Jinx3d1
For example, you won't find sdl.dll in any id directory.

You can load a dll from a resource (hidden in the executable) without need to have a .dll file.
Bass (a sound lib) has a nice tutorial on how to do this.
ah, but you cant do that with the SDL licence, if you did you'd have to give away your source code as its no longer posssible for the end user to upgrade the dll (check the SDL licencing terms)

SDL has been used for the linux ports of a number of games, UT2K4 springs to mind and I think NWN as well
You could give GLFW a whack if the LGPL doesn't suit you and/or you don't want to have to ship SDL.dll. GLFW is zlib licence equiv. IIRC, so it allows static linking even for commercial apps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement