Parsing XML with C++

Started by
12 comments, last by Xai 19 years, 3 months ago
Most of my coding has been with C#, and I like XML as a data storage format. I'm about to develop my next game in C++, and would like to use XML. A google on it pulls up a bunch of different libraries and tutorials. What libraries would you advise? I'd like something that's easy to use with VC++ 7.0. Thanks. -Nick
Advertisement
I used tinyxml briefly. Had it working in just a few hours to read some files I invented.

I did not try any others, or even use that one much though. But if you don't get any better advice that is at least one that isn't awful. :)
xerces is what they are using here at work to parse game files, a much bigger library than tinyxml (my priority was learning the lib in less than 1 day when I chose tinyxml).
We use TinyXML for our game and I like it. You're up and running in a hour or two. But it can't do validation. It's as small as possible, it's can parse a XML file and write a XML file.

If you need more stuff, a full packade XML parser library, I'd go with Xerces.
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]
Another vote for TinyXML. I can't see many reasons why you'd need to do validation in a computer game, so TinyXML should be fine.

ive used tinyxml for 2 of my projects and its worked a dream.

tinyxml does validation, by returning null pointers on an error.

I also have used TinyXML. I did have problems with it when dealing with large data files (only 20MB or so) since it used up about 1500% (15 times) the file size in memory footprint, after parsing the file into a full DOM tree. I modified the library to use a pull-parse method instead, and it now uses only the memory required to load the file into memory. I could feasibly remove that requirement also and go with a stream-based system that would lower memory footprint yet further. In any case, this modification was necessary to avoid hitting the 2GB address limit with larger files. Now I need to find a reliable way to write the XML out without needing to build a full DOM tree first...
Assassin, aka RedBeard. andyc.org
I also found TinyXML good (tho I haven't used any other xml parsing libs). It has worked fine for me.
Ad: Ancamnia
you need to do validation FOR SURE, in any game that wants to let the users modify the files ... for modding ...
When I said it didn't do validation, I meant with a DTD or Schema.

Xai has a point. But unless you're aming for a game dev kit, then you don't have to care. Besides:
A) You can do a type of validation yourself, that's what I do. Write a wrapper, so when you're loading something then it type checks the data against the data in the file. Say you want to load a float and you get a char, that's when you kick of a error message and stop loading. Works very well :)
B) If you aim at modding, supply a tool that does the saving. No one should really have to be editing XML files when making a mode, that's pure evil :P
[ ThumbView: Adds thumbnail support for DDS, PCX, TGA and 16 other imagetypes for Windows XP Explorer. ] [ Chocolate peanuts: Brazilian recipe for home made chocolate covered peanuts. Pure coding pleasure. ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement