How do I install ZThreads with Dev C++ in Windows?

Started by
0 comments, last by Si0n 19 years, 3 months ago
zthread.sourceforge.net The instructions I got from Thinking in C++ are really confusing to me, check it out:

Installing ZThreads

Please note that the ZThread library is an independent project and is not supported by the authors of this book; we are simply using the library in this chapter and cannot provide technical support for installation issues. See the ZThread web site for installation support and error reports.

The ZThread library is distributed as source code. After downloading it (version 2.3 or greater) from the ZThread web site, you must first compile the library, and then configure your project to use the library.

The preferred method for compiling ZThreads for most flavors of UNIX (Linux, SunOS, Cygwin, etc.) is to use the configure script. After unpacking the files (using tar), simply execute:
./configure && make install

from the main directory of the ZThreads archive to compile and install a copy of the library in the /usr/local directory. You can customize a number of options when using this script, including the locations of files. For details, use this command:
./configure –help

The ZThreads code is structured to simplify compilation for other platforms and compilers (such as Borland, Microsoft, and Metrowerks). To do this, create a new project and add all the .cxx files in the src directory of the ZThreads archive to the list of files to be compiled. Also, be sure to include the include directory of the archive in the header search path for your project. The exact details will vary from compiler to compiler so you’ll need to be somewhat familiar with your toolset to be able to use this option.

Once the compilation has succeeded, the next step is to create a project that uses the newly compiled library. First, let the compiler know where the headers are located so that your #include statements will work properly. Typically, you will add an option such as the following to your project:
-I/path/to/installation/include

If you used the configure script, the installation path will be whatever you selected for the prefix (which defaults to /usr/local). If you used one of the project files in the build directory, the installation path would simply be the path to the main directory of the ZThreads archive.

Next, you’ll need to add an option to your project that will let the linker know where to find the library. If you used the configure script, this will look like:
-L/path/to/installation/lib –lZThread

If you used one of the project files provided, this will look like:
-L/path/to/installation/Debug ZThread.lib

Again, if you used the configure script, the installation path will be whatever you selected for the prefix. If you used a provided project file, the path will be the path to the main directory of the ZThreads archive.

Note that if you’re using Linux, or if you are using Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) under Windows, you may not need to modify your include or library path; the installation process and defaults will often take care of everything for you.

Under Linux, you will probably need to add the following to your .bashrc so that the runtime system can find the shared library file LibZThread-x.x.so.O when it executes the programs in this chapter:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}

(Assuming you used the default installation process and the shared library ended up in /user/local/lib; otherwise, change the path to your location).
err... what? :) ps - I posted this in the beginners section too, but I figured I could get more help if I posted here also..
Advertisement
only 8 views? :(

*bump* X_X

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement