why no doom3 models

Started by
6 comments, last by Eldron 19 years, 3 months ago
why aint there any doom3 models on sites like polycount, theres exporters for 3dmax so its possible to export them, ppl have made maps, so why no models?
Advertisement
Possibly because they require the modeller to know how to do highly detailed models for the detail map? I assume that would take a truckload more time to do than a normal game model, a whole new set of skills for people who have been focusing on doing only game models...

Just my thoughts, eh? :-)
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Hi,

With doom 3 there is a new approach to desiging game models, they make high polygon models first and create textures for them. After that they that that high polygon model as a reffence and create a low poly model from it. Using textures from the High polygon model they create very detailed in game charter model which looks like a high poly one.

I'm sure there are people working on new models for doom3 mods it will just take them a bit longer to create those models.

Dan
... and from experience, making a high poly model is way easier than to make a good-looking low poly one. It'll soon come.
Wouldn't making just a good-looking low-poly model take less time than making a very detailed high poly model and then making a new low poly model based off of the high poly one......
The high poly models of marginally increased complexity can be created much more quickly than low poly models because artists can simply create without significant regaurd for performance.

The low poly models are *generated* almost entirely automatically from the high poly versions. The low poly model paired with a proper bump map provides an excellent illusion of full high poly models.
You HAVE to make the high-poly model to get the normal maps. It can't be skipped.
You'll generally push ALOT more vertices when making a highpoly model, both are just as easy when you know what you're doing, but you'll spend alot more time on the highpoly version of the model.
Artist - Mistlands

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement