Sign in to follow this  

wat does tis D3D warning mean?

This topic is 4734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Too bad the search feature is currently disabled, because this question has been asked quite a bit (FAQ candidate, maybe?). "Failed to create driver indexbuffer" is just a harmless warning telling you that your graphics hardware does not support hardware-based index buffers (only newer DX8+ cards do, IIRC). This information will not affect your application in any significant way, so you don't have to worry about it. [smile]

Yeah this question has been asked many times before, and I'll second it's candidacy for FAQness. What circlesoft said is basically correct - it's harmless and just means the index buffer was not placed in hardware memory (that's why it says INFO and not WARNING or ERROR). As for what supports index buffer in hardware, well I've had a GeForce, GeForce 4 Ti, Radeon 9800 and GeForce 6800 and every one of them has come up with that INFO message while I've been developing.

-Mezz

Apparently, IHV's do some pretty naughty things with their drivers. This has been suggested here before by some very knowlegable people who have lots of experience with video drivers [wink]. I have both a Raedon 9600xt and 9800xt, and they both come up with that info.

Quote:
Original post by RenderCache
hihi!

jus wondering wat this warning is trying to mean?

Direct3D9: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer

thx!
RC

A good deal of hardware doesn't actualy support index buffers - instead just copying the indices into the command stream. This might be what you are seeing.

This topic is 4734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.