List of free libraries

Started by
195 comments, last by dcco 12 years, 10 months ago
PortAudio does cross-platform audio output and input using callbacks. The license is very nice, basically:

Quote:
Plain English Interpretation of the License

The following is a plain English interpretation of the license. This interpretation is not part of the license and has no legal significance. To understand the full legal implications of the license you should consult the license itself.

* You can use PortAudio for free in your projects or applications, even commercial applications.
* You do not have to make your own source available as open-source code just because you used PortAudio.
* Do not take our copyright information out of the PortAudio source code.
* If you fix a bug in PortAudio, please send us the fix.
* You cannot sue us if your program fails because of PortAudio.
Advertisement
GLFTFont - zlib license

Not exactly a library, but a simple class that bridges freetype and OpenGL allowing drawing of truetype fonts in OpenGL. It's functionality is requested often enough I figured I'd release it.
Mirage Source isnt listed, 100% source included, license is kinda hybrid.

http://www.miragesource.com
Don't know if a version 0.01 should make it into your list, but I'm developing an open-source 2D graphics & game SDK in C# with GDI+ and D3D rendering called Endogine:

http://codeproject.com/csharp/Endogine.asp

The framework's structure works 3D worlds as well, but the 3D features will have to wait until version 2.

At the moment it's just copyrighted, no restrictions on the use.
I see you have not included the API used for xnview, GFL SDK, in the 'loading images' category. It looks nice.
you could add AGG ( www.antigrain.com ) to the 2D graphics section, although it isn't a game library per-se, but could be used as such.
The new Tao Framework website is available at mono-project.com/Tao.

SDL.NET could fit under 2D graphics.

This is getting pretty large!
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Thanks all, keep 'em coming! I hope to do a little reorganisation soon to make it more usable.
How about some kind of information showing what languages each library has bindings for? Or better yet, listing all libraries that support a particular language under one section.

For instance:

Python:
-pygame
-pyopengl
-pyode
-twistedmatrix
etc.

That's something I would be interested to see. The existing categories don't have to be broken down necessarily, but it would also be nice to have libraries related by language found in the same place.

At the moment, it seems the list is mainly geared towards C++. Maybe an organizational change would entice more people to list libraries for use with other languages?
Hello guys,

How about adding the Game Incubator? Game Incubator - http://gi.kamron.net it's a multi-purpose C++ Game engine that you can either use as a all-in-one (for beginner or quick prototyping) or as a grab as you need (for people with existing projects that just want to use some pieces like memory management, error reportting, callstack, sound, networking, real time debugging, or whatever the GI provides).

The license is ZLib (ok for any kind of project).

Plus, I just released the October 2005 SDK :)

Cheers
Jeremy Chatelainewww.kamron.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement