List of free libraries

Started by
195 comments, last by dcco 12 years, 10 months ago
Not sure if it's big enough for this list, but maybe LodePNG can be added? It loads and saves PNGs using C++ code without external dependencies, making it handy for small games that want to avoid too many dependencies (e.g., no zlib.dll and libpng.dll required to be added to the release in Windows).
Advertisement
Nominations for two new projects:
1. OpenAL-soft: an alternative implementation of the OpenAL SI. This library grew out of the frustration that was created by the way Creative Labs maintained OpenAL. There seem to be a lot of issues for NIX systems and OpenAL-soft seems to address the majority of them. Here is a quote from the website:
Quote:
OpenAL Soft is a cross-platform software implementation of the OpenAL 3D audio API. It's built off of the open-sourced Windows version available originally from the SVN repository at openal.org. [...]

This library is meant as a compatible update/replacement to the OpenAL Sample Implementation (the SI). The SI has been unmaintained for quite a while, and would require a lot of work to clean up. After attempting to work on the SI for a bit, I became overwhelmed with the amount of work needed, and I eventually decided to fork the old Windows version to attempt an accelerated ALSA version. The accelerated ALSA idea quickly fell through, but I ended up porting the software mixing code to be cross-platform, with multiple output backends: ALSA, OSS, DirectSound, and a .wav writer are currently implemented.

OpenAL-soft

2. FIFE: a game engine / framework written in C++ & Python. FIFE started as undertaking to create an improved Fallout-like engine for roleplaying games. After over one year of redesign and scope broadening the developers think that it's flexible enough to create all kind of 2d games with it. Here is a quote from their wiki:
Quote:
FIFE is a cross platform game creation framework. Exact engine feature list changes over time, but the following lists the main guidelines for development
* Games can be created with combination of engine, editor tools, game specific scripts and game content (e.g. maps, graphics and sounds).
* Framework is not tied to any type of game (e.g. RTS, RPG), but instead provides flexible platform for all of them.
* Framework supports different isometric views with addition of pure top-down view.
* Instead of full 3D flexibility, engine focuses mainly on using high quality 2D graphics. This puts less demands on target platforms and also simplifies the framework and game development.
* Purpose of the editor tools is to help to bind the game content with the engine and scripts.

FIFE

Caution: I'm involved in the FIFE project and I'm clearly biased in this case so take my statements about it with a grain of salt :-)
-----PARPG - open source isometric 2d old school RPG still looking for interested contributors
For java fans,

I made a lightweight, and easy to use java game library.
Please visit the site for download, sample + tutorial + help are provided to help you mastering the libraries

Feedback & further improvement are welcome!

http://fly.engine.googlepages.com

[Edited by - super_java on April 18, 2008 3:29:01 AM]
Quinta is a lightweight but powerful application framework released under the BSD license. Quinta is written in C and is built on top of SDL and similar platform-independent open-source libraries. It features a custom scripting language and transparent OpenGL GUI's. This framework is currently under heavy development but it is already tested on Linux, Mac OSX, Windows and Nokia handheld devices.
Hey you might want to add the Propane Injector Library:

ravuya.ballofdoom.com/

And some GUI libraries form OpenGL's website.

OGLCONSOLE-An OpenGL, Quake like dropdown command console
http://oglconsole.sourceforge.net/

Agar - GUI Toolkit with OpenGL support.
http://libagar.org
I am new here and a noob to game development, but I am working on a project that would provide game developers with some awesome 3D CAD models and animations for free. Many of these are already avaiable to the public, but we are trying to make a repsitory or one-stop-shop just for gamers since our resources are literally all over the map and we don't know how to supply them to gamers. I'm creating a navigation page so what do you need? 3d models, 2d cad drawings are all I have so far. I need to know what you want. What formats do you prefer? 3ds, lightwave... In regards to textures and skins, formats? Are just video, low res animations, sound useful?
Thanks -N
Quote:Original post by nikmar
I am new here and a noob to game development, but I am working on a project that would provide game developers with some awesome 3D CAD models and animations for free. Many of these are already avaiable to the public, but we are trying to make a repsitory or one-stop-shop just for gamers since our resources are literally all over the map and we don't know how to supply them to gamers. I'm creating a navigation page so what do you need? 3d models, 2d cad drawings are all I have so far. I need to know what you want. What formats do you prefer? 3ds, lightwave... In regards to textures and skins, formats? Are just video, low res animations, sound useful?
Thanks -N

This list is for code libraries. For libraries of media, try posting in the art forum.
You can add my 2D graphics library: Gorgon to the list. It's pretty 'special'.

It's for .NET, and the library is written in C#. More details at: http://www.tape-worm.net.
My graphics engine: RET::SDK
Is a 2D/3D multi-platform oriented engine for C++.
Yet another game engine: JEngine SSE
- open source (LGPL)
- cross platform
- multiplayer

The engine is still in development phase, current version is 0.4.4

Crafter 2D: the open source 2D game framework

?Github: https://github.com/crafter2d/crafter2d
Twitter: [twitter]crafter_2d[/twitter]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement