• Advertisement
Kylotan

List of free libraries

This topic is 2687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

LibUFO GUI library (for OpenGL) [LGPL]

Crazy Eddie's GUI (another GUI lib, frequently used with the Ogre engine, although technically it doesn't have to be)

And can I suggest that you database-ize the list, and provide a suggestions form on the page? (and a way to see the list of libs suggested through the form before they've been verified)

John B

Advertisement
If it is allowed to name your own:

ManagedGL - The cross-platform .NET game library. Development ManagedGL 1 is stalled in faviour of ManagedGL 2. Currently mostly 2D graphics.

HGE is a greate library for creating hardware accelerated 2D games for windows that is free for freeware games.

[Edited by - Myra Mains on January 1, 2005 7:21:38 PM]

Thanks for all the suggestions. Most of the additions have been made. I won't be changing to a database-driven site as I'd like to word all the submissions myself to ensure consistency, and I doubt it will grow to much more than twice the size it is now anyway. There are only so many free game development libraries, after all. We'll see how it goes.

I suggest you add Ogg vorbis lib, as it is not always included with audio libs. And you should list some video libs too. ffmpeg is good (though has some patent issues), xvid is good (again, possible patent issues), Theora is also good and has no patent issues. Dirac is an up and coming codec that should prove to be good some day.

first of all: great list, Kylotan! thank you very much for your efforts!
and, of course, thanks to everyone else who has contributed so far [smile]

i've also been working on a similar, small list (mainly for personal use) but i havent updated it for quite a while. it is by far neither as nice designed nor as good categorized as your list but maybe you want to have a look nonetheless, as there may be some further libraries etc. :)

This topic is 2687 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.