• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kylotan

List of free libraries

196 posts in this topic

This one is quite good:

www.freebasic.net

It's a commandline compiler, but several people are developing IDE's for it. The forums are at

www.freebasic.tk
forum.qbasicnews.com

Does the FBX SDK work with any free software? I didn't recognise any on the products list. And Freebasic looks nice but it's not really the focus of the list.

Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
Does the FBX SDK work with any free software? I didn't recognise any on the products list. And Freebasic looks nice but it's not really the focus of the list.

Hmmm, no. It's a free library to read Kaydara (now Alias) own file format, FBX. FBX export is nativly supported from MAX though. Quite useful to import meshes/animations.

=[dEkS]=

This may have already been suggested, but this list would probably be best implemented as a WIKI...

ZipArchive

http://www.artpol-software.com/index_zip.html

GPL

Good for creating and working with standard .zip files

Genjix: I am trying to keep the number of SDL libraries down to the bare minimum since they have their own page for addons. Collision detection isn't very SDL-specific anyway. PS. Your pixel-perfect code won't work unless the surface uses a colour key.

Ricas: I may add GUIde when you have either some screenshots or documentation on the site. I don't want to start adding every library that is under construction. Post again when you do. :)

SnprBoB86: I would rather do this myself than have various people making inconsistent additions and alterations.

In other news, LZMA and ZipArchive got added.

Quote:
Original post by ricas
Here is an OpenGL gui I've created: GUIde. It's GPL licenced. Maybe you'll add it into your list.

I was interested in it, but it says page under construction. Do you have screenshots?

Quote:
Original post by V-man
Quote:
Original post by ricas
Here is an OpenGL gui I've created: GUIde. It's GPL licenced. Maybe you'll add it into your list.

I was interested in it, but it says page under construction. Do you have screenshots?

There's a couple here, with a download link

OPAL - Open Physics Abstraction Layer, currently wraps just ODE I think but could be adapted to use other libraries. Choice of BSD or LGPL license.

Quote:
Original post by SnprBoB86
This may have already been suggested, but this list would probably be best implemented as a WIKI...

agree, and it should be in a table (sort / filter-able?) with title, license, OS / 2D/3D API support, url, ratings by peers on quality & support etc.

That'd be nice!

Ogre(Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine)

I didn't see Blitz++ (math library for C++) on the list.

edit: I see it's been added now :)

[Edited by - TheSalmon on May 10, 2005 8:46:10 AM]

Here is some more 2-d stuff that I think should be added. Thanks for doing this.

General purpose library (2D) -> ZEngine http://zengine.sourceforge.net/index.php
2D Graphics (Sprite Engine) -> Kyra http://www.grinninglizard.com/kyra/
2D Graphics (Font) -> SFont http://www.linux-games.com/sfont/
2D Graphics (Font) -> BFont http://www.cs.unibo.it/~dbilli/bfont/bfont.html

I'll see if I can think of any others.

General purpose library (2D w/ 3D accel) -> Ika Engine http://ika.sourceforge.net/

[Edited by - Boder on May 18, 2005 12:01:34 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Seriema
LOKI, as Marius posted, should really be added IMHO

and you might be interested in my quest for a simple OpenGL framework.

Does LOKI have anything gamedev specific? Is there even any decent documentation for it online? I don't want to start adding things that are just 'helpful' because that opens the floodgates to all kinds of libraries.

Hmm online? No not that I've seen, the book Modern C++ Design is the best source for it. But you probably knew that and just wanted to prove your point >_<

and game specific, nope. But neither does any of the "general purpose" libs you have on the list :) LOKI is like BOOST, but a bit more focused on configurable design patterns. It has memory managers, factories, functor wrappers, etc.

Btw, did you check out the list of OGL wrappers (link) I've found so far?

Nifty list though, thanx for sharing!! =D

KjAPI, it just became free. There are some licensing stuff to work out, but it should be fixed soon.

www.kjapi.com

Its a GDK, with AI, tools, physics, etc. And its for C++