Sign in to follow this  

any resource about staggered grid?

This topic is 4734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to implement staggered grid in the 3D fluid simulation. There is little resources talking about it, especially in the web. I can't afford to a hardcopy of a book. Any thread is appreciated. Detail presentations are prefered.

Well, check out "Visual Simulation of Smoke" by Fedkiw et al.

It's a rather easy-to-read paper which uses staggered grid for the velocity field.

Anyway, once you understand the idea, it should be straightforward to implement.

-- Mikko

Here are some links to papers online. I have not opened them, and cannot speak to how useful they will be. Most likely they are advanced, but might help a bit in combination with Fedkiw's stuff (referenced by uutee).

Development of an unstructured finite-volume flow solver

You also might find some good resources here:

CFD Online

Thank you both!

Actually my implement is according the paper "Visual Simulation of Smoke". In the advection step using staggered grid confuse me. I cann't get a clear view on how to interpolate and use semi-lagrangian scheme in the staggered form. Alway need to use (a+b)/2 liked code or maybe tri-linear interpolation to get the value I need. The advect code is also hard to reuse, since for every directions the code differ a little bit almost in all lines.

In CFD Online, I found some related topics. I'll read them and the paper "Computation of compressible flows on unstructured staggered grids" for more understanding.

Btw, it's my first time to get into the CFD kingdom. If I act some ignorance, tell me. :O) Happy New Years!

This topic is 4734 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.