• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Mode 13h - :( = :) (Solved Thnx)

This topic is 4797 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I'm using the turbo c++ 3 compiler and have run into a slight problem while trying to start learning bout mode 13h programming. Here's my rather fruitless first attempt at writing such a program... #include <mem.h> #include <dos.h> void setmode13h() { struct REGS regs; regs.x.ax = 0x013; int86(0x10,®s,®s); } void setmode3h() { struct REGS regs; regs.x.ax = 0x03; int86(0x10,®s,®s); } void main() { setmode13h(); } Well, the problem is that after getting into mode 13h , the background is littered with pixels of various colors (Shudn't the output be just a plain black screen..??). Also, when I try to clear the screen with this : _fmemset(MK_FP(0xa000,0),Color,0xffff); The remaining portion of the screen is set to the color I want it to but the pixels remain. I would appreciate any help (is it simply that i am committing a grossly unpardonable error - read a newbie mistake ;) or is there something more deeper to this ??). Also if someone could point me to where I could get the c++ ports(by Christopher Mann/anyone else) of the Denthor's Tutorial Series -- I've got parts 1 to 10 in c++ and of course the Denthor's Series is up in the articles section but that's --unless I'm very much mistaken -- only in Pascal. Thank's ... Thankx everbody I seem to have finally solved the problem...(see lower posts) [Edited by - Darth_Vader on December 31, 2004 3:43:18 AM]

Advertisement
My question to you is, why are you learning mode 13h ? its never used anymore, learn a 3d API, get hardware acceleration, and get modern :-D, seriously though, unless its simply for joy/learning, theres no reason to learn it, it has no value today

-Dan

Dan :
Lol...ur right definitely. But I've just finished C++ in my school and it was geared towards text based programming and the boring standard functions(duh..) . It's just that I think that this will be a logical extension to something I've learnt and (hopefully ;)) with time, I'll also learn a 3d API.

Quote:
Original post by Darth_Vader

Well, the problem is that after getting into mode 13h , the background is littered with pixels of various colors (Shudn't the output be just a plain black screen..??). Also, when I try to clear the screen with this :
_fmemset(MK_FP(0xa000,0),Color,0xffff);
The remaining portion of the screen is set to the color I want it to but the pixels remain. I would appreciate any help (is it simply that i am committing a grossly unpardonable error - read a newbie mistake ;) or is there something more deeper to this ??).

Try using memset(screen_address,color,319*199);

Quote:

Also if someone could point me to where I could get the c++ ports(by Christopher Mann/anyone else) of the Denthor's Tutorial Series -- I've got parts 1 to 10 in c++ and of course the Denthor's Series is up in the articles section but that's --unless I'm very much mistaken -- only in Pascal.

Thank's ...

That's true,only upto part 10 has been converted to C++ by Snowman I belive.I did manage to find some other stuff which had some ports for 15,16,17,19 or something like that in C++ but I never managed to get them compiled :(

Hey why not try these links:
http://www.brackeen.com/home/vga/
http://www.daniweb.com/tutorials/tutorial8439.html

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by FireNet
Try using memset(screen_address,color,319*199);

you of course meant
memset (screen_address, color, 320*200 - 1);

Thanks a lot guys esp Firenet .... finally figured out what was wrong .. As I hadn't used getch() and I'd not returned to text mode, what I was viewing was the post output screen (I don't know how to explain this exactly...suffice to say... I've got it to work..yay!!)

@Firenet : Thnx a lot 4 ur cool links...I'll surely have a look at them.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement