Sign in to follow this  

Nodes accessing scene

This topic is 4733 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have several nodes communicating with a scene class (nodes and scene contained within a container class). i have sorted a temporary solution up for node<->scene communication... and its a bad one
        static Scene *Instance() { return scene_acc; }
    private:
        /*stores the latest instance of Scene and is initialized
          in the constructor with this*/
        static Scene *scene_acc;

The only solution i can think of is having the container class passing a const pointer on initialization of the nodes which is stored inside the classes.

Can anyone think of a better method to achieve this?

I think scene will have a list of nodes and each node will have a pointer to the scene. So if you want to comunicate with a node scene will find the node in her list; if a node wants to comunicate to its scene, it has the pointer ready.

To initialize pointer, you'll have a method Add in your scene:

void Scene::Add(Node * pNode)
{
/* <- add pNode in the Node list -> */

pNode->SetScene(this);
}

void Node::SetScene(Scene * pScene)
{
m_pScene=pScene;
}

Hope that's help.

erm... thanks :P

i sorta meant that the communication is one way, scene is basically a scene graph, so objects communicate with the subsystem through it.

This means there has to be a method of communication between scene and objects contained within the container class, im thinking of breaking the biggest rule and just making scene static/global (passing references would be hell, as functions would have to carry multiple pointers into deep levels). Thats why i asked in case anyone had any better ideas.

Thanks

Ok, I try another answer then. [embarrass]

Your Scene is a Singleton (it has the method Instance()). Nodes must access this class and your problem is in letting them know the value of the scene pointer.
If that is correct I cannot understand where the problem is. You can get the scene pointer everywhere in your source doing something like that:

Scene::Instance()->SomeMethod();

I usually initialize the singleton that way:

Scene * Scene::scene_acc=NULL;
(you have this line of code in your Scene implementation file)

and Scene::Instance() looks like this:

Scene * Scene::Instance()
{
if (scene_acc==NULL)
scene_acc=new Scene();
return scene_acc;
}

(remember to destroy that instance to avoid memory leaks ;-) )

If that not answer your question (sorry for that), please try to explain better who is the container class that contains both nodes and scene. :)

Ooops![oh]
When I have classes communicating like your classes, I use singleton and other pointer as you do. I think is a good solution, not a bad one.[lol]

This topic is 4733 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.