Sign in to follow this  

Critique of a Generic HDR Implementation

This topic is 4736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Been doodling away on a bit of paper the last couple of days - trying to work out if and how I might be able to come up with a generic HDR implementation for a DirectX9 based graphics engine... Anyone care to give me some thoughts on my ideas - I'm not convinced it'll work, but it's about as good as I've managed so far. The key idea is that I can "plug in" any of the output forms (LDR/FakeHDR/TrueHDR) and maintain the core rendering processes as the same to maintain a form of transparency as to what the final output was. This would offer both: - easier development (to get the ball rolling, I could just use the LDR stuff) - backwards compatability (for the hardware that can't do True HDRI)
Interface IRenderOutputManager
    {
        bool IsSupported( )
        void CreateResources( )
        void BeginFrame( )
        void FinishFrame( )
        void CleanupResources( )
    }
I'd then use it in the following sort of structure:
//Start a new frame...
IRenderOutputManager::BeginFrame( )
  //Render all geometry as usual here
IRenderOutputManager::FinishFrame( )
//Everything done here
In the typical LDR/default mode IRenderOutputManager::BeginFrame( ) - calls a "Clear()" operation - calls a "BeginScene()" operation IRenderOutputManager::FinishFrame( ) - calls a "EndScene()" operation - calls a "Present()" operation Yet the HDR ones can take the same opportunity to swap the render targets, perform the necessary post-processing effects (e.g. bloom and luminance mapping).. It all seems quite tidy to me from what I can see... for one problem: The rendering of objects might need to change slightly depending on the type of output. A typical LDR output would require all colours are [0..255] or [0.0 - 1.0] to work, whereas the true HDR output would require colours, obviously, of higher dynamic range. Is it actually possible to abstract this sort of thing? Or would all the general game/terrain/level/whatever geometry and effect rendering have to change as well as the LDR/HDR type output? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Cheers, Jack

This topic is 4736 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.