Sign in to follow this  

[java] Java based steering

This topic is 4722 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone know of a Java based Steering package similar to the one done for C++ (OpenSteer I belive it is called at www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/)? I haven't had much luck finding one and I don't really want to roll my own/port if it already exists! Thanks.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I had a go at porting OpenSteer to a pure Java implementation (using JOGL for the graphics). It was fairly straightforward to do, except that they use some funky C++ stuff, that you have to wrangle into Java, and it didn't seem to be fully OO.

It worked acceptably, there was a little bit of jittering in the movement (probably my fault) and I couldn't get one of the flocking behaviours to work. Other than that, I had it up and running in an afternoon.

Now all I need to do is create a game to use it in...

Care to share the code?

I think I might know how to cure the jitter from a book I recently read on the subject adn will gladly let you know how if I can correct it.

Thanks!

Guest Anonymous Poster
It will be my absolute pleasure to share it, would you like it via email or can someone out there provide some web space for more wide spread distribution.

All code sending will have to wait about a week as I am on holiday at the moment and don't have the code on my laptop.

Sounds good!

If you don't get anyone to host it just post back here and I'll give you my E-mail.

BTW, I think I have located another Java based package at http://www.steeringbehaviors.de/

This topic is 4722 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.