• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MARS_999

OpenGL OpenGL, GLSL and Linux

This topic is 5041 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have considered install Linux again, been a few years since I have Suse 7.1 to be precise. Anyway I was wondering what the status of OpenGL is on Linux? Is OpenGL 1.5 supported on Linux yet? How about GLSL is it available on Linux yet? If no to any of these questions does anyone have any idea when they will be supported? Thanks

Advertisement
Errm... OpenGL 2.0 is supported in Linux already, Windows is the OpenGL chalenged OS, the others are not.

Edit: Mesa (Software OpenGL) seems to implement up to 1.5 check the release notes

Quote:
Original post by _the_phantom_
*raises eyebrow*
which vendor has shipped a linux OGL2.0 linux driver then?

[smile] You're right, my bad, some google searches mislead me, and I can't check my linux box headers right now to make sure, in any case, it should support 1.5.

If you have a card that supports those features from nvidia or ati, then they are supported under linux using nvidia or ati's own drivers.

The fastest cards available under the open sources drivers (mesa and friends) is the R200. No specs for later cards are available. I forget which radeon cards that corresponds to, but I'm pretty sure they weren't GL1.5 (though mesa will emulate missing features).

Intel's i915 integrated graphics chip supports GL1.5, I believe. And it does have open source drivers (go intel!) But I don't think it's faster than even the R200s.

glsl is available with gffx -> cards (drivers are released roughly about the same time as windows), ati havent got any glsl drivers yet

that appears to be the state of play, ATI should be syncing their Linux drivers with their Windows ones over this coming year however, which is abount blimmin time

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!