3ds Max Import/Export

Started by
2 comments, last by Drew_Benton 19 years, 3 months ago
Hello I'm a new person on this forum. I was hoping to ask for some help, particularly level/map/dungeon design. I'm new also to game programming some i am learning all tricks of the trade piece by piece. I am currently working with a friend who handles mainly graphics. We had come up with a so called easy way to develop maps, through 3ds Max 6, is there by anyway then that you can import your made level into a visual c++ designed game? The game is tile based but we wish then to use the map that was develop from 3ds max or if there are better suggestions we are open ears to all suggestion and criticism. please help us. we are looking forward to fruitful year this 2005. thank you and god bless you all...
Advertisement
hey,

if yha totaly new to openGL better start the first 10 lessons of nehe.gamedev.net.. it has good examples but after those lessons there are better sources to learn from.

i was making a game with 3ds objects and openGL and C++ .. and in two weeks i need to finish my game for graduation on my school. after that ill give a fine explanation of how it works and how i builded it in vs c++(and still not binded to one platform ).. i loaded my own made 3ds objects with textures given from 3DS.. i used 3ds max4 because 3ds 5 sux and had no time to learn 3ds6 but it works the same...
Maybe its smart to start learn how '.3ds' are builded and how to make your own camera (i used glLookAt() and you probably gonna need it).

if your game works you might wanna use more vieports... you will see why when yha reach the problem.

have fun and dont stop because it doesn't work... just ask after yha tried to much :p
Just out of curiosity, why do you say 3ds max 5 sucks compared to R4? I've been using 3D Studio since the DOS days of R2 (7th Guest), and it seems to me that every version has only gotten better. I'm presently using R7 and am quite satisfied with it. Are you unaware that advanced lighting techniques (light tracer and radiosity) were implemented in R5? Very nice, but superfluous in R7 because we FINALLY have mental ray 3. . . and only two years behind XSI.

Dream-Evo:
Is your project 3D? If it's 2D, there's no painless way to export your art other than to render it and post-process (e.g., carve into tiles) manually, or write a program that will do it for you. If it's 3D, you may want to look into either 3DS (binary) or ASE (plain-text) formats. Chances are you'll ultimately use your own proprietary format anyway, but you'll need to convert at some point. . . unless you write your own 3ds max export plug-in.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

Quote:Original post by Dream-Evo
We had come up with a so called easy way to develop maps, through 3ds Max 6, is there by anyway then that you can import your made level into a visual c++ designed game?

Quote:
3DS File Loader
Author: DigiBen

This tutorial will show you how to load "objects" into an OpenGL application that are saved in a .3ds file format.

Functions Used: fopen(), new, fread(), strlen(), fclose(), delete, glBegin(), glEnd(), SwapBuffers(),
vector::push_back(), vector::clear()

Download: .NET

Ports: SDL

Located here towards the middle of the page. As mentioned you will need to use the .3ds format for VC++. I think it is the best solution for you at this point with your knowledge. It allows you to also use the textures that you map with 3dsmax as well. Eventually you might want to try something as Quake3's BSP Maps (Located here), but since your game is tile based - I don't see any advantages, unless you are doing 3D tiling. I hope this helps some.

- Drew

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement