char* = char[]

Started by
23 comments, last by Staffan E 19 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by Zahlman
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You need to add "meh = &blah[0];" before the sprintf.

It should work perfectly without any other changes.

Of course, it will still end up outputting the desired text and will therefore "work perfectly"

QED.
Advertisement
The original code has bugs, which Xai and many others pointed out, and the suggested inclusion cannot prevent those problems.

The statement "meh = &blah[0];" (which is equivalent to "meh = blah;") does not do what the OP wants - it will make meh point at the array data, when the OP clearly wants meh to point at a separate copy of that data.

"adding it before the sprintf" is just silly, as a result - why make a pointer point at an array and then sprintf the array contents to the location indicated by the pointer? The sprintf becomes a no-op. Of course, it will still end up outputting the desired text and will therefore "work perfectly" - except that it won't, because the previous assignment of the string literal to the char array is still wrong!

I made an attempt to demonstrate that I know whereof I speak. You are hereby challenged to follow suit.

There is no need to challenge, because I just misunderstood. But the way you replied at first is easy to misunderstand, you could've said that whole thing earlier. Anyway, I thought you were saying the syntax is wrong and bad, and did not know you were talking about the result not being the OPs wanted result.

Cya!

All of which (and more) is why rational, sane people use std::string in C++.

Then I really must go check with my local mental institution. I've never thought myself as very irrational or insane, and neither have people around me to my knowledge. Still I do use char arrays instead of std::string since I'm fluent with them.

/Staffan
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
There are other explanations besides irrationality or insanity, of course [smile] Just don't come crying to me when you have to track down the bugs [wink]
Well I guess it eventually comes down to the fact that there is no harm in knowing many ways to do the same thing. <- [Boxed wisdom]
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement