Sign in to follow this  

dynamic objects

This topic is 4729 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey All, I am a newbie at fps game programming. One thing i would like to know is how do you store objects that are not static in bsp games (ie moveable, change state) eg doors, moveable blocks etc. In relation to the bsp how are they stored inside them or do they have to be stored in an object database? Another question i would like to ask is how would you deal with blowing a hole in the ground and using it as like a trench. Does the hole have to be an entity or just change the heightmaps of the environment? I hope you understand what i'm asking, Thanks, Victor

Quote:
Original post by khanage
Hey All,
I am a newbie at fps game programming. One thing i would like to know is how do you store objects that are not static in bsp games (ie moveable, change state) eg doors, moveable blocks etc. In relation to the bsp how are they stored inside them or do they have to be stored in an object database?

just add them to map like your player model, i mean they are model and not a part of the bsp.

Quote:
Original post by khanage Another question i would like to ask is how would you deal with blowing a hole in the ground and using it as like a trench. Does the hole have to be an entity or just change the heightmaps of the environment?

sorry my english is not soo good.

i think a good way to solve the "blowing a hole" problem would be to make an object that looks like the rest of the terrain over it then when the right conditions are met like a bomb goes off on it you delete the land over the hole and vola you have a hole. (you can of course add animations and such to make it look cool but that is the basic prenciple

Hey All,
Thanks for the reply stroma.

Just elaborating on my questions.
1. My first question mainly what i was after was how do you organise your game data into files and directories? ie store static entity data seperate to dynamic entity data which can change.
my thinking was to have a bsp to store all the non static entities such as walls, floors, ladders, steps (all the build architecture),
then all dynamic objects are stored as states/attributes together with animation and sound, rendering information (vertices, textures, etc) in a structure or perphaps a oo database
2. My 2nd question, i was trying to ask if i classify the ground as static state then all of a sudden a hole or crater is created (by any means) do i create a dynamic hole entity which a player can interact with so that the player can hide and receive protection from attack.

If anyone knows any good online resources into how fps games are architecturally organised i would most grateful to know since i'm still planning the gaming architecture from scratch.

Thanks,
Victor

Hey All.
Thanks for the reply rapterstrike. The problem i think with that solution is that the hole could be anywhere along the ground so how do you approach that? Just use collision detection with the ground and just paint a hole and having a player position checking system which determines if they have fallen through the ground via intersection of position of hole and player?

Thanks,
Victor

well if this is just a bottom-less whole then yeah just have a "hole" sprite and when the bomb or whatever blows up load a copy of the sprite and the position of the bomb then check your objects to make sure that they havnt collided with the hole if they have then there dead. i was thinking you were talking about making a small vally for example

--------------------------\ /-----------------
\ /
\-------/

but if its just never ending pit hole then just make a sprite

This topic is 4729 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.