Sign in to follow this  

[web] best practices, for accepting credit card payments

This topic is 4728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im having trouble finding good information on how to accept credit card payments in a secure fashion. I know WHAT I need, to accept credit card payments (merchant acount, payment gateway), I just dont know how Im supposed to store the sensitive information once I get it. Am I supposed to store the credit card number in my batabase? or is it better to let a trusted 3rd party store the CC# once its been authorized... Any links or ideas would be much appreciated. There is alot of vague, general ideas out there, but if anyone has specific information on what to do, it would be greatley appreciated

Most payment service providers which explicitly support deferred payment and repeat payments etc, will store the cc details on their server on your behalf.

Therefore, your server doesn't need to (and shouldn't) store ANY CC details (except for a payment ID assigned by the PSP, and whether the payment succeeded or failed etc).

If your PSP does not support that, they should. All the ones I've worked with do (although I haven't used this feature).

Mark

Yeah. Also, make sure you have a secure server certificate yourself, unless you go with a merchant that handles the input on their end, as I think Worldpay can. Others, like Protx who I used before, expect you to send them all the relevant data from your site which means you really have to be running over https.

This topic is 4728 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.