Passing a char array to a char array

Started by
2 comments, last by basananas 19 years, 3 months ago
hi there. I did a post the other day about finding a char in a string and the response was more than i ever hoped for. I however have another problem.. heres the situation 1. 1 class (classA) recieves a message from a server and saves it as buffer. this message is then sent to another class (classB). classB takes a pointer to the buffer and couts it to the screen from the classB. I want to put this into a char array. I keep getting errors like cannont comvert char to char[50] or char* to char. How do i get this buffer into an array. i need it in a array that has no specified size to if the string is 5 chars it would read "12345\0" thanks for any help people
visit my site http://www.fullf1.com for all your formula 1 and music creation needs.
Advertisement
Hmm, could you post some code where the error occurs?

/Staffan
Hack my projects! Oh Yeah! Use an SVN client to check them out.BlockStacker
I've quickly wrote this little example:

#define BUFFERLEN 256class B{    ...    void PrintMessage(char *msg)    {       cout << msg;        }}class A{    char buffer[BUFFERLEN];    B* b;    ...    void ReceiveMessage(char *msg)    {       strncpy(buffer, msg, BUFFERLEN - 1);       b->PrintMessage(buffer);    }};

That should do it ... to copy the string to the buffer you have to call strcpy (or in this case strncpy to avoid buffer overflows if the message is longer). From your post I don't know where exactly your problem lies ...

Hope that helps!
Hi rholding.

Here's a working example. Feel free to ask about it.

#include <string.h>#include <iostream>using namespace std;#define BUF_SIZE 1000class classB {public:char * buf;   //set buf array   void setBuffer(char * buffer) {      int size = strlen(buffer);      buf = (char *) malloc(size + 1);      memcpy (buf, buffer, size + 1);   }   //print it on the screen   void printBuf() {       cout << buf;   }   //a pointer can be referenced like an array, example:   //char c = buf[0]  //c will be 'h'};//the function within class A (now called main to make it work):int main() {   //Buffer received from server   char * buffer = (char *) malloc (sizeof(char) * BUF_SIZE);   memcpy (buffer, "hello world", 12); //fill the buffer with an example string   classB b;   b.setBuffer(buffer);   b.printBuf();   return 0;}

Greetings and a happy new year,
Bas

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement