• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dweeb

OpenGL Texturing terrain using multi texture approach

This topic is 4949 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've searched the web for days to find any good material on texturing terrain and found that there isn't very much to find about it. But I found one site which seem to have exactly what I need but it's written in Pascal and OpenGL: http://www.delphi3d.net/articles/viewarticle.php?article=terraintex.htm The problem is that I'm not sure how to convert it to DirectX and they don't really cover the topic very extensivly so I made some guesses :) It would be great if you could help with this problem. The operation which is required to product the blended terrain is: Unit: Texture: Output: 0 T1 T1 1 T2 LERP(Col0.RGB, T1, T2) 2 T3 LERP(Col0.A, Unit1, T3) So here is what I've done so far: (However the 2nd stage I still do not understand how to get the Col0.A)
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG1 );
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE );

p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_LERP );
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG0, D3DTA_DIFFUSE );
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_CURRENT );
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_TEXTURE);

p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_LERP );
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLORARG0, D3DTA_DIFFUSE ); //how do I get the Col0.A in here??
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_CURRENT );
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_TEXTURE);

And also I suspect that if I use the RGB color of (1.0f,0,0) of a vertex then that vertex should ge enterlty covered by the first texture. While (0.33f,0.33f,0.33f) would cause a blend of all three is that correct? When I execute the code above I get strange result:http://staff.envox.com/fredrikk/output.JPG

Advertisement
D3DA_DIFFUSE | D3DTA_ALPHAREPLICATE
*or*
D3DTOP_BLENDDIFFUSEALPHA instead of D3DTOP_LERP

The blend operation probably works on more cards (I think only shader capable cards tend to have the triadic ops such as LERP and MULTIPLYADD). Since you're already using LERP in a previous stage, it's entirely up to you.

Thanks for the answer Namethatnobodyelsetook but it still didn't produce the effect that I expected.

Here is the code I used:

p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_LERP );
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG0, D3DTA_DIFFUSE);
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_CURRENT );
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 1, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_TEXTURE);

p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_LERP );
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLORARG0, D3DTA_DIFFUSE | D3DTA_ALPHAREPLICATE); //how do I get the Col0.A in here??
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_CURRENT );
p3dDevice->SetTextureStageState( 2, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_TEXTURE);

And here is the result:
http://staff.envox.com/fredrikk/output2.jpg

BTW I used D3DXCOLOR(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f,1.0f) for the vertex color which should decide which material it should use.

Any more suggestions?

Re-reading your first post, it might just be how you're expecting diffuse to work is the current problem. My other post should give you the alpha you want. Blending 1 or 2 textures is fairly simple to work out. Blending all 3 textures can be tricky, and I show the math behind it below with some examples.

How to setup vertex diffuse.
Ensure lighting is off, so it won't affect blending weights.
The color gray value is used to interpolate the first two textures.
The color alpha value is used to interpolate the third texture.

If color = 0,0,0,0 (RGBA order) then result is texture0.
If color = 1,1,1,0 (RGBA order) then result is texture1.
If color = x,x,x,1 (RGBA order) then result is texture2.

Now lets mix, in some simple cases (2 textures only)

Mix 0 and 1, color = 0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0,0 (lerp 50% from 0 to 1, then lerp 0% to texture 2)

Mix 0 and 2, color = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0,5 (lerp 0% from 0 to 1, then lerp 50% to texture 2)

Mix 1 and 2, color = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 0,5 (lerp 100% from 0 to 1, then lerp 50% to texture 2)

Okay, now the big one, mixing all 3 textures. This has a bit more math behind it.

33% each: color = 0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 0.33333.
I can hear you say "What the !&*$. You're doing a 50% blend". Sort of, yeah. Because we have equal amounts of texture 0 and 1... a 50% blend. After the second blend of texture2 the final amount of texture0 and 1 will be 33%.

mix 0 and 1 50%. Mix 2 by 1/3....
or
0 = 1/2
1 = 1/2
then
0 & 1 mix *= 2/3 (so now 0 = 1/2 * 2/3 = 2/6 = 1/3. Same with 1).
2 = 1/3

General rule:
ColorRGB = (mix1)/(mix1+mix0) (special case when both are 0, just use 0,0,0)
ColorA = mix2.

When we want 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 we do
ColorRGB = (1/3) / (2/3) = 0.5
ColorA = 1/3

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much Namethatnobodyelsetook.

You were right I didn't understand the math behind the texture selection :)

But because of your nice example I can now blend between 3 different textures which should be enough for the terrain I'm working on.

Now I just need to work on a few algoritms to apply the different textures on the different locations and their respective weights.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!