Sign in to follow this  

[.net] C# project editor...

This topic is 4715 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to use C# and MDX to build an editor for a project. Currently I am thinking either a ui editor( allows you to build menus for games by drag and droping boxes, bars etc. is rendered pane), a particle editor or a physics editor? My first questions are: 1)Which is easier? I know it sounds bad but from your experience. 2)Which is better for show reel when looking for work? 3)Which has the best documentation on how to build it? If you have any answer please share.

Since I am going to use C# these questions are more fitted here since they are depended on this programming language. If the moderator thinks that it should be there then the post will be moved. However I believe it is more fit here.

Someone really needs to make a Physics SDK for C#.. I know there are some wrappers out there, but I haven't even seen a full port.

If one exists, please show me (I need one:D)

A particle editor? Do you mean like a program to build a particle engine.. then save it to a file maybe? That sounds like it could be fairly simple but fun project.

<ShamelessPlug>Sages and I are writing a book titled Game Engine Toolset Development using C#.NET, so it should hopefully help fill the gap with C# and game engine tools, unfortunately it's not yet ready =)</ShamelessPlug>

Well, in terms of difficulty, the easiest of the 3, aside from the physics editor being UI only and no 3D viewing, would be the UI editor. All you require are X,Y calculations, and some custom GDI+ drawing. You'll end up making a custom control, learning about drag and drop events, hit detection (simple bounds checking on X,Y values), file I/O to open and save interfaces (could also use XML serialization if you are up to it), mouse events, and probably dynamic binding to a PropertyGrid control.

Anything 3D will obviously introduce a much greater level of complexity, in which case you would need to learn Managed Direct3D.

~Graham

Quote:
Original post by gwihlidal
<ShamelessPlug>Sages and I are writing a book titled Game Engine Toolset Development using C#.NET, so it should hopefully help fill the gap with C# and game engine tools, unfortunately it's not yet ready =)</ShamelessPlug>

Well, in terms of difficulty, the easiest of the 3, aside from the physics editor being UI only and no 3D viewing, would be the UI editor. All you require are X,Y calculations, and some custom GDI+ drawing. You'll end up making a custom control, learning about drag and drop events, hit detection (simple bounds checking on X,Y values), file I/O to open and save interfaces (could also use XML serialization if you are up to it), mouse events, and probably dynamic binding to a PropertyGrid control.

Anything 3D will obviously introduce a much greater level of complexity, in which case you would need to learn Managed Direct3D.

~Graham

I'd highly recommend the afore mentioned book. You should buy two copies in-case something happens to the first.

This topic is 4715 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.