Sign in to follow this  

Is the PS2 Linux kit worth the money!?

This topic is 4713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I thinking about buying the kit be4 it gets out of stock. I have programmed in OpenGL for a while and now I'm strictly using DirectX. How much fun is it 2 programm on the PS2 and how "hard" is it!? The PS2 has 32MB or ram and with Linux running you even have less memory available for your app. Linux Kit : €99,00 Shipping: (UPS Standard) : €25,00 VAT : €21,71 Total : €145,71 It suck having to €25 only for shipping and the €21 for VAT... Any1 have the kit!? Share you experince please :)

you really need to use it for it to be worth it

and getting a monitor that works with it [supports sync on green] is a MUST

the ps2 has some interesting hardware, so I guess the question goes something like this

do you think assembly is fun?
[so, would you enjoy learning new assembly languages...]

if so you probably want to consider the kit

otherwise it is likely a waste of money

Definately worth it!!!!!!

As distorted said you dont need a monitor for it, you can adapt it to work on a TV.

Also dont expect an easy ride, it's difficult but fun. Also it wont work with the slim-line PS2, only the good old fat one!

Screw XBOX development, you wanna do that then just download the DirectX SDK, you want some good/hard shit then get the PS2 Linux kit.

Problem with PS2 is that sony havent a clue about software development, and most of the tools and libs get broken from one build from the next and is incredibly unstable. That's with the proper dev kits. Not sure about the linux kit and how that works.

Xbox is a dream in comparison, and a lot more fun for everyone involved.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by chimengi
Problem with PS2 is that sony havent a clue about software developmen

The problem is more that they under estimated the laziness of software developers. Too many developers out there are used to a PC and how to make stuff on run on it to it's potention and refuse to learn a different way of doing things. You can't treat a PS2 like a PC and expect good performance.

If you expect to get a ps2 linux kit and start writing code and doing things exactly how you did them on your PC, you're in for trouble.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ahahaha thats funny
Quote:
Problem with PS2 is that sony havent a clue about software development

Ha, yeah the company that has released some amazing games, sucks at software dev. Even if they arent your style you have to admit the GT series has always been pretty damn well pretty, lots of eye candy, and wicked physics, now I havent had a ps2 for about half a year now, so I could be wrong, Sony might have decided to go a different route and start sucking, but I doubt it.

Not to sound like I'm flaming, this is after all a legitimate question "Chimengi what mega corporation do you own?" Also "Does your console and software currently have a pretty nice piece of the console pie?" Don't be a bloody fan boy, yes the xbox is pretty, and there are some wicked games on it too, I am a huge fan of halo, like pretty well anyone else, the question wasn't after all "Is the xbox better then the ps2?" his question was "Is the linux kit for ps2 worth it?"

So to answer that question, I am going to say, if I was in your position to get the linux ps2 kit I would even if you dont ever intend to work in the console programming market, I personally would love to see what I could make the ps2 do. And I love low level programming, not to mention the fact that with the network adapter, and a little effort, you could make your ps2 do a lot of cool things. All I am sayin is keep in mind what alot of people seem to have forgotten, learn about as much as you can, if you can spare the cash, I say go for it. Damn... sorry for the long post

This topic is 4713 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.