Looking for a decent book on Theory

Started by
2 comments, last by DogCity 19 years, 3 months ago
Hey all, what would be a good book on game design Theory, I have books on programming, and plenty of examples of code. I'm just looking to toughen up with some theory. thanks!
Advertisement
Moved from For Beginners to Game Design.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
What sort of theory? If you mean theory of how to come up with a game concept and begin writing a design doc, have a look at my developer journal.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Game Design theory documentation seems a bit thin on the ground at the moment... The good books should start rolling out in the next few years as the design veterans start to retire. I'd enjoy a nice academic book by Peter Molineux a lot.

There are a few at amazon, kinda look a bit generic though. I get a little more disapointed each time I see the amount of watered down poop thats being published in the name of game development.
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement