Debugging in DirectX full screen mode

Started by
4 comments, last by DMINATOR 19 years, 3 months ago
I'm playing aroung with some sample code and I'm trying to debug a problem I'm having ( if I can't figure it out, that will be my next post ). I'm using VC++ 6.0. When I try to 'run to cursor' or set a breakpoint, I can't see the debugger. Is there a good way to debug in full screen mode? Oh, and I hope everybody had a safe and happy new year.
Advertisement
If your IDE supports it, you can do multi-monitor debugging. Your program gets rendered on one monitor and the debugger sits on the other. Visual Studio also has a cool option for remote debugging, you can use a second computer on your LAN for the rendering/debugging.
There's some information on this in the DirectX Forum FAQ...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Thanks guys. As it turns out, I solved my problem by tracing it through on paper, but this will be a big help when it comes to more complicated problems. I'm making an Asteroids clone. I'll post it when I'm done.
I highly recommend allowing your program to run in windowed mode, at least for debugging purposes. This saves a lot of hassle.
Actually I use sharpdevelop with cosole and windowed window. If I wan't to check any value, I just use Console.WriteLine(Somevalue); . It is actually the best way I found.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement