Sign in to follow this  

i'm a complete newb to programming and need a push in the right direction

This topic is 4732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have recently begun to learn to program in C++ as a basis for my knowledge of programming and realize that C++ is more than often an essential part of game programming. I just need an expert's advice on what i should be looking at and learning if i want to become a programmer of games. where should i go after C++? what will C++ help me with? i'm aware of openGL and D3D but have no knowledge of there use or relation to C++. laugh at me if you want, but i need some help. my aim is Superkilldeath. thanks

First of all, realise that if you're just starting learning C++ then you're not going to be proficient in it in a few weeks time. People on this site who've been programming for years will tell you that they're still learning every day.

What should you be looking at? Well - you should start by getting comfortable with the language. What programming have you done previously? Are you comfortable with basic types? Arrays, pointers, references, loops? What about areas from computer science - such as linked lists and hash tables? It's a broad topic to get into, but let us know what you know, and we can point you in the right direction.

As for helping you with learning if you want to be a games programmer - that's a decision only you can make. Try the Forum FAQ, and also this link - it will give you some ideas of where to start.

And no-one will laugh at you here for wanting to learn. Just remember to ask good questions (but don't be afraid to ask questions), and remember that we're all learning, every day of our lives.

/Motivational speech.

Jim.

This topic is 4732 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.