Sign in to follow this  

im insrested in making a video game

This topic is 4731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi i would be intrested in making,designing,coding and programming a video game so if u could help me or give tips or tell me and teach me a few things cuss im new to it so please will u help me please.

You might want to start off with learning c. Then graduate into c++. If you find yourself having a hard time understanding c, then try qbasic. Qbasic is very old, and not very powerful, but I learned a lot of the basic programming concepts in qbasic, such as loops and if statements. Some might suggest you start with Java, but I haven't ever programmed in Java. When I first started programming, I tried Java, but it forces you into object oriented stuff, and I found that a little overwhelming at first.
If you decide to go the c/c++ route, the only complier I can recommend is MinGW Studio. It is free, and has a nice ide that is easy to learn. I have also heard that devc++ is good, but I have no expirence with it myself.
The main thing to keep in mind is start off small. Don't set your beginning expectations to high, or you will disappoint yourself, and might wind up quitting as a result. Take the time to learn the console functions, and make some simple programs like a number guessing game and such.
And use GameDev!!! These guys are great here. They have never failed to answer a question I asked. Sometimes you might have to reword your question, but be patient. You will get your answer. Just be as specific as possible to start out with.
Good luck, and happy programming!!!

Quote:
Original post by mrtie_dye
You might want to start off with learning c. Then graduate into c++. If you find yourself having a hard time understanding c, then try qbasic. Qbasic is very old, and not very powerful, but I learned a lot of the basic programming concepts in qbasic, such as loops and if statements. Some might suggest you start with Java, but I haven't ever programmed in Java. When I first started programming, I tried Java, but it forces you into object oriented stuff, and I found that a little overwhelming at first.
If you decide to go the c/c++ route, the only complier I can recommend is MinGW Studio. It is free, and has a nice ide that is easy to learn. I have also heard that devc++ is good, but I have no expirence with it myself.
The main thing to keep in mind is start off small. Don't set your beginning expectations to high, or you will disappoint yourself, and might wind up quitting as a result. Take the time to learn the console functions, and make some simple programs like a number guessing game and such.
And use GameDev!!! These guys are great here. They have never failed to answer a question I asked. Sometimes you might have to reword your question, but be patient. You will get your answer. Just be as specific as possible to start out with.

I have to disagree. I started out with QBasic around 6 years ago. (I'm 15 now..) It tought me horrible programming practice to say the least, andit hardly helped me learn anything else.

After your first few programs in C, (No more than a couple weeks), look up on google some object oriented stuff, and see if you can copy/paste things to get a simple object oriented program working. Then try to make something on your own, or with minimal help from websites. And your probably won't understand the true importance of object oriented programming until you make larger programs, but trust me, it's DEFINATELY something to learn as soon as possible.

I still type "For i = 1 to 100" , next instead of For (int i=0; i<100; i++) { , } to this day. Skip QBasic, it's useless. And Visual Basic for that matter too, until you really know C++.

Quote:
Original post by Adams555
Quote:
Original post by mrtie_dye

I have to disagree. I started out with QBasic around 6 years ago. (I'm 15 now..) It tought me horrible programming practice to say the least, andit hardly helped me learn anything else.

After your first few programs in C, (No more than a couple weeks), look up on google some object oriented stuff, and see if you can copy/paste things to get a simple object oriented program working. Then try to make something on your own, or with minimal help from websites. And your probably won't understand the true importance of object oriented programming until you make larger programs, but trust me, it's DEFINATELY something to learn as soon as possible.

I still type "For i = 1 to 100" , next instead of For (int i=0; i<100; i++) { , } to this day. Skip QBasic, it's useless. And Visual Basic for that matter too, until you really know C++.

I have to disagree. I started out with QBasic around 2 years ago. (I'm 15 now..) It tought me the basics of programming. When I first dived into C++, I was overwhelmed by its complexity, so I moved to BASIC. After 2 years of QBasic, I safely and comfortably moved to C without a problem, and now I'm a fluent C programmer, and a C++ beginner.

Using for, do...while, and while loops was a breeze in C, and I had no trouble at all typing it with brackets and semicolons. Functions and switch() statements were also very easy. Basic certainly made C very easy to understand.

QBasic also tought me the basics of VGA 320x200 mode at a low level, since it allowed me to use poke() and peek(). This was also useful, since now I can easily write a VGA 320x200 program in C with no trouble at all.

All I have to say is that it all depends on the person. I can sit down and program for massive quantities of time without getting bored. I know that I did maybe a little QBASIC back in the day (I'm 19 now) because the Visual C++ bok I had was for version 1.5 - and I just couldn't understand it at all. C/C++ is a breeze for me - I love it, but I know everyone feels their own way.

diabolo I would suggest just start finding tutorials on whatever language the compiler/interpreter you have. If you do not have VB, and can't afford it, than don't waste time getting tutorials for it. Same goes for C,C++,Java,etc.. There are plenty of free IDE's for almost any language *just about*. For Java there is JCreator Lite and for C/C++ there is Bloodshed Dev C++ to name a few.

I think before you begin, you should spend some time around GameDev - reading all the old posts and stuff. You may get into game programming and not like it at all. That is something you are going to have to decided, but regardless, there are plentey of useful resources around GameDev right here in the forums.

- Drew

This topic is 4731 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.