Sign in to follow this  

Feedback on Galactic Wars 2 Alpha

This topic is 4730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is my game so far. I guess I will just call it alpha as it is in no "real" state and is suffering from a little bad case of poor structure. I realize this after reading a little bit into "3D Game Programming". Anyways, I was wondering if you, "my reader", could please take a look at the game so far. All the core code is almost done and I have a lot of work left to do making levels and art. The game is written in C# with DirectX9 and DirectDraw. Thanks a bunch! :P The game The code

I had downloaded this in attempt to give you soime feedback, but it won't work :(. I get a JIT Debugging menu that says: An exception 'System.IO.Filenotfoundexception' has occured in Galatic Wars 2.exe. I will download the source and see if the file I need is missing, but maybe you left one out bt accident? Thanks.

- Drew

That is very odd as it works fine for me. I am pretty sure there are no external file dependencies. I used DirectX 9.0c and all files within the data and images folders and nothing else.

An unhandled exception of type 'System.IO.FileNotFoundException' occurred in Galactic Wars 2.exe

Additional information: File or assembly name Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw, or one of its dependencies, was not found.

Well, didn't work for me either :P

You really should test it on other computers before releasing it...

And you're right, you have ALOT of work to do! ;)

doesn't work. says
"CLR Debugging Services

App. has generated an exception that culd not be handled.
process id: 0xc4 thread id : 0x104((260) " and JIT error...

anyway i looked up the files, images are tells the game but i see that your highscore.data file is a text file, so everyone may change it :
stroma 999999 [smile]
chad 100
john 90
franklin 80

Dialog pops up:
Galactic Wars 2.exe - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application.

When this pops up the app has 3 handles, 1 thread, and has only used 224k of memory.

Yeah that is what I got when I tried to run it on my brother's computer. Do any of you know what could be causing these problems as they are really odd and I have no idea what could be causing them? It works fine on both of my computers...

I should have also mentioned that within the data folder in config.cfg the coop_level variable should be changed to a compatible resolution with your monitor. I was programming on my laptop when I zipped all the files and didn't remember to change it to a non-widescreen format.

I have an idea - are you hard coding in where the images are? I noticed that in none of your .cfg files do you tell where they are, so they must be hard coded into the game - in which on diff comps they won't be in the right place. Will you check that for me.

Getting the same File not found. You have also posted the debug release of the code (Generally this will fail when someone does not have the SDK installed).

Can you post the complete project as a zip for us to look at, or produce a compiled release version.

Also the error of file not found might be to do with the way you are handling the paths inside the application. I would put all needed paths into an Application configuration file and pull them from there are startup. This way it would allow others to decide on the paths where the system is installed.

Very odd...I attempted moving the project around the computer's directory and no change for me. I can't get it not to run. The files that are hardcoded are with Application.StartUpPath + path with path being as needed. It is never dependent on files being placed in specific spots other than relative to the exe. Anyways here is the whole project:

Whole Project

Thanks for taking a bigger look at this.

Line 77 of iDraw.cs:

myDevice.SetCooperativeLevel(frm, CooperativeLevelFlags.FullscreenExclusive);

When I hoover over it in C#, it says that it is using a depreciated function as well as most of the other functions. Is this the same on yours or is it just mine?

I think the error lies somewhere in your level loading code. I was tracing through and it always hung when you were loading a level. I couldn't do much b/c I can't get it to be a standard window w/o fullscreen so I cant get access to my debugger - but when I ctr-alt-del, the breakpoint is never hit (The title changes when a break point is hit)- so I think the problem is in there somewhere.

Quote:
Original post by Krisc
Okay...so now how do I go about fixing this...I guess downloading 9.0c and start debugging?

I think that would be the best thing to do - but only if you are using Visual Studio 7 or greater. 9.0c will not work in 6 - but since you are doing C# I'd imagine you are using 7.

Alright, I am downloading all the new stuff now. Thanks for your help guys. I'll be sure to rate y'all. ;)

p.s. I downloaded 9.0c ...and it still works. Grrr what is going on!?

[Edited by - Krisc on January 3, 2005 12:04:19 AM]

Got it going with the complete package.

But Frame Rate is slow... and as I killed the last Ship it crashed and I had to End the Task to Quit.

I Will have a look and see if I can see anything.

Well I was able to get it started by using level_1.lvl instead - something is wrong with the level loading code - it loops infinitly on level_0 - I tried to trace through it but couldn't find the problem.

However once I got level_1.lvl loaded and the title screen came up - it crashed when I choose Start Game :(. I was then able to get it to start working - but it crahsed as soon as my ship went off screen at the top.

From what I saw, I can say its a nice game!

*It needs some timebase movement, because on my comp everything was superfast.

*The ship turning left and right needs to be a little bit slower so it looks more natural as well.

*The missiles are nice and the explosions are beautiful - but you need to make the missiles come from the ship [wink].

*The bound checking for the top needs to be checked with the height of the ship, not 0. Be sure to also not let the ship scroll indefinitly in the left and right.

*One more pet peeve - the missiles from the enemies should not be destroyed when the ship is destroyed.

*Eventually use an image format other than bmp to save memory as well as space

Other than that good job!

- Drew

Quote:
Original post by Krisc
One question to developers out there...how do I go about adding time based drawing into a game.

you can have time based movement (elapsed time per frame) or you can update game logic after a certain interval (like at 40fps) but allow your renderer to render at whatever speed it is able to.

For the time based option have a look at gametutorials.com in the OpenGL section (camera tut) it is C++ but should be trivial to convert to C# code.

For the second option if you have an fps counter then its like adding in another, check if time elapsed since start tick is the update frequency you want and then do your updates and reset the start tick.

HTH

This topic is 4730 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.