Making An MMORPG...HELP!

Started by
9 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 3 months ago
I need to start designing an MMORPG, and i have downloaded a few design documents, but they are all related to non-mmorpgs, which is a problem. All i need is a bit of advice on how to start the process. I have a team of three counting myself. I have a Blender user and a team organising person, who also might be using Blender, along with me, the game designer. I also (as you can tell) need coders for the game but I do not know which coders to ask for specifically and what skills they might need for their jobs, and what language would be best to use. I would be very thankful if anyone gave me some help!
Advertisement
You would want to find someone who knows network programming and intra server processing -- webserver/gameserver/backendDB and maybe seperate AI -- all in a computing cluster.

The first M in MMORPG is for massive -- requiring interconnected servers AND connection to hundreds (or more) clients.

The O is for online -- meaning thru the web/internet, so you might want to have someone who knows about game action time synchronization/interactions across the internet.

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
Read the following:
Making Games
So you want to make an MMORPG?
Going to post your game idea?
Random suggestions for those about to post

MMOG Considerations
Eternal Lands Postmortem Part 1 | Part 2

An MMO game of any sort (RPG or otherwise) is a HUGE project. If you havn't made smaller games previously, forget about it. Sorry for my post consisting of mostly links, but this comes up a lot, and everyone gets the same advise for the most part. You need an excellent design document. You need at least 1 (you'll probably need more) excellent programmers. You'll need a good team of artists. An MMORPG requires massive amounts of content, and can be reasonably expensive to run (although often not as much as some might think). It takes a long time to develope such a project. Start small, build some practice projects first - perhaps a singleplayer 2d RPG game - to give you an idea of how much work goes into this kind of thing.

Also, if you havn't read them yet, take a look at:
For Beginners and the For Beginners Forum FAQ.

Oh, and just as a reference, if you didn't have time to read the information provided, you don't have time to make an MMO. [wink]

Good luck. [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

well i did know what the mmorpg stands for
massive multiplayer online role playing game
i really need a design document template for mmorpgs
wodinoneeye is right, you'll need personal who have a solid understanding of network programming (and the theory involved) because this is the hardest part of the work, really.

Kazgoroth said it all, I believe. Trust him, it's really a hard job.

Game design must include the way people will interact in the community, their roles in the game as players (i.e. possible behaviors and activities they can get involved) - in other words, most of the design is centered in the user.

Found it googling a bit.

Forgive my bad english..
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
thanks kasgoroth or however its spelt, but can anyone provide a design document template for an mmorpg? i might make a single player game first as this is my first game project.
i am only the game designer, i must stress, and i am going to get coders.
i have a friend who might help me, as hes an exellent coder.
and as a game designer making the design document i will be putting in absolutely everything, like 3D model sketches, maps, textures for environments, i just need to know how to start putting these ideas into order.
and i need coders :$
Firstly, the link provided by Son of Cain should point to here. I havn't read the whole thing, but it definately looks worth a look.

Second, I edited my above post with some more content, since I was rather lazy at first. You may want to look over it again.

On the issue of an MMORPG specific design document, I don't know of any templates, but it's quite common to for designers to simply create thier own format. As long as all the relevant information is provided in a logical, easy to understand format, it's a good design document. I'm unsure if this will be helpful or not, but Google gave me this site. Try searching some more yourself with different keywords (I used "MMORPG design document template"), but I'd suggest that it may be simpler to instead adapt a template from some other type of game to match your needs.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by desserped
i am only the game designer, i must stress, and i am going to get coders.
i have a friend who might help me, as hes an exellent coder.
and as a game designer making the design document i will be putting in absolutely everything, like 3D model sketches, maps, textures for environments, i just need to know how to start putting these ideas into order.
and i need coders :$

Getting people you know to help you is all well and good, but if you try to recruit online (such as in the Help Wanted forum), you'll need to be able to attract people. This means already having a design document (which you're trying to make at the moment, this is a good start), concept/production art if possible, any working code or proof-of-concept code you can have ready, etc. People are very wary of helping out beginning designers who don't also do some of the programming or art, especially on an MMO project.

- Jason Astle-Adams

just to get this straight, i am making a design doc with the following included:
all the 3D models needed
all the textures for those 3D models
all the bitmap images for menus and buttons
all the animated mouseover buttons for the site
all the sketches of the 3D models and maps
all the music and sound effects
all of the event based happenings
(so that code can be based off it)
the website design
the game system
npcs and character options
the world maps and 3D models