Sign in to follow this  

Director and Multiplayer?

This topic is 4717 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, i'm just wondering about a few things... I'd much apreciate a little help if anyone has any experience or knowledge of Macromedia Directors (lingo/java) capabilities in regard to the following: 1. Director as a game server, handling tens of clients conected from the web with constant syncronisation. 2. Director as a client comunicating efficiently. 3. Any thaughts on packet security pertinent to web-based gaming through shockwave? I know these questions are fairly broad, i'm basicaly looking for any advice or thaughts on how to deal with many-multiplayer through shockwave, as there's not much info out there! Bees

Depends on how complex your game is going to be, i would advice not to use flash or shockwave for it.

I have spend 2 years with a shockwave multiplayer tick based game, and at the end, it was just pain to maintain the code on the client side. The server was written in php / python.

the reason why not to stick to it:
- you got 2 different (very different) language on server / client, so its the double maintenance afford whenever something needs to be done
- lingo is simply too weak for complex programming, even with a lot of helper code classes.
- if you are thinking about integrate java within that shockwave client, why dont directly go for a java client / server architecture?

The reason why i decided to use shockwave at the beginning was its capability of to be used within browser / 3d rendering. But soon i found out that its almost impossible to run the client within the browser, as the traffics is just going to explode (with only 1k-2k players). The client of course can stay in the browser cache, but it needed to download a lot of update datas to keep the game free of bugs / cheats, and whenever we made an update to the client, it got 1000x some MB downloads everywhere.

the capability of director i think is really interesting for creating of multimedia presentations (quicktime and other media stuff integration), and of course good for local played small games. But its just too weak for multiplayer games.

Uhm.. Director comes with the Shockwave Multiuser Server, which is quite powerful and can easily handle up to 1000 connections. I've used it extensively and it serves it purpose very well. The Lingo for using it is straightforward and easy to understand. I seriously don't believe you know what you're talking about.

Thanks for the help chaps, I thaught the thread would slip off without any replies...

I did know about the shockwave multiuser server but I'm still not sure if it supports multiple socketed connections. Help!

Unfortunately I'm still no closer to chosing the games platform! If anyone can give me any more information i'd be a happy dog.

This topic is 4717 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.