[web] Apache!

Started by
7 comments, last by Khaos 19 years, 3 months ago
Well, I think I have some sort of a web server running. But I have some questions. First, I use RoadRunner cable internet. My IP is not static. Thus, can anyone tell me of some really good Dynamic DNS services? Is no-ip the best one? I already have a domain name, so I think I need no-ip Plus (as opposed to Free) to use that service, which is not free, but $25 a year. Does this seem right? Can I do it for free? I installed Apache2 on my home computer. About security... what do I need to do to make sure my computer is safe? On my local router (192.168.1.1) I allowed my port 80 to be open to TCP connections. Is that okay? Is it necessary? Also, should I pay to make my Whois information anyonymous? Is this necessary? Why should I, or should I not? My IP address keeps changing, obviously. But if I get a DNS service, how do I modify the configuration script to allow www.mydomain.com to ALWAYS point to my current IP address, whatever that is. Right now, if I enter my CURRENT IP address into my browser I go to an "Index of..." page. The only link listed is my "index.htm" page, which is the ONLY file in my htdocs directory. How can I get my IP address (if entered manually) to point directly to myip/index.htm, so I don't have to click on the link but rather have it load directly? And will that work the same way when I have my actual domain name up and running? On that note, if I enter www.gamedev.net I go to the main page. I don't even have to type www.gamedev.net/index.htm or whatever... for example, so how can I change it so it goes directly to my primary page without anything but the domain name (no directories or files, just www.domain.com). I know that's a lot to ask. Answer what you can, if any. Thank you!! You all have helped me a lot and I am well on my way.
Advertisement
try www.afraid.org - it's free, with various small catches.

dynamic dns is what you're after. There are instructions for using scripts to update the ip whenever you reboot or redial.

The easiest way to have www.blah.com go straight to a page is to have index.html defined in the root folder of your htdocs - apache looks for index.html. The default installatation of apache uses different index pages for different languages, so there must also be some mechanism for selecting a page based on the http request.
[size="1"]
Quote:Original post by Khaos
On that note, if I enter www.gamedev.net I go to the main page. I don't even have to type www.gamedev.net/index.htm or whatever... for example, so how can I change it so it goes directly to my primary page without anything but the domain name (no directories or files, just www.domain.com).
It's part of your server config. IIRC, Apache allows you to specify the default file per directory. Look inside your httpd.conf file, which is very well commented (and you can find more resources on the 'net).
Quote:Original post by mrbastard
try www.afraid.org - it's free, with various small catches.

Do you know of any of those catches, or could you explain?

Thanks guys!
In my opinion, if you want to do any hosting other than

- Test sites up less than 100% of the time
- Demos
- Technology testing

then you should not try to host it on your dynamic IP.

I've no idea what the situation is with your ISP in the USA - but here it costs only a tiny bit more to get a static IP address (indeed, some ISPs provide them anyway or free on request).

If your ISP has a policy which allows you to do hosting (within limits, obviously), then they should provide static IPs at little or no extra charge.

If your ISP has a policy which does not allow hosting, you should not attempt to do any hosting on it (see above).

Personally I have a cable connection which has a dynamic IP address which hardly ever changes (I think it's changed once in the last two years). So I treat it like a static one.

If you want to do any serious hosting you should really get a hosted server (or virtual server possibly), it will give you better reliability.

Mark
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by Khaos
On that note, if I enter www.gamedev.net I go to the main page. I don't even have to type www.gamedev.net/index.htm or whatever... for example, so how can I change it so it goes directly to my primary page without anything but the domain name (no directories or files, just www.domain.com).
It's part of your server config. IIRC, Apache allows you to specify the default file per directory. Look inside your httpd.conf file, which is very well commented (and you can find more resources on the 'net).

That config is called DirectoryIndex and it's a list of all files it should try to load automatically when no file is specified. The list is in order BTW so if you have index.htm in the list to the left of default.htm and you have both files, then it will load index.htm.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Well I tried setting up a web server with PHP, and I got it working. I signed up for two "free" Dynamic DNS places (no-ip.com and afraid.org) and I am sure they work... but they were both getting too frustrating.

I have uploaded my site and can access it by typing my IP address.

The domain name that I purchased is suchaconquest.com [Bling!] Now as you will see, somehow it is a hanger website; that's right. Hangers. Now what the hell is going on here?

I changed my DNS from the default to ns1.afraid.org and then to ns1.1portfolio.com since I decided on their hosting. I've seen the domain change from a networksolutions "under construction" page to some stupid crap from afraid.org that was supposed to time-out but never did, and now finally to a hanger website. This lastest edition makes no sense and is scaring me. What has happened?
This is scaring me!! Have I had my domain stolen?!?

By clothes hangers!??!

Ahhh. Oh help.
Hell-wo??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement