• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Meta Adam

Question on what to do.

This topic is 5064 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I know I've asked this before, but I'm out of ideas of what to program. I am a noob, and am not very good at programming, and have no knowledge of programming graphics. I use C++. Any help at all would be appreciated. =)

Advertisement
What have you programmed before? If you can tell us that, I'm sure people will have a lot of suggestions for you.

Another popular option for graphics is Allegro, which is easy to use and has all of the components needed to get a game project quickly underway (timers, graphics, input, etc).

You could try making a simple paint program. Your goals should be limited in order to make the project something you can do in a reasonable amount of time, but try to develop them fully. I would suggest:
1) Two tools: the pen and the bucket.
2) Have a basic color pallet, but don't worry about making the pallet changeable or anything like that. Just code it to let you choose from 8 or 16 colors (use a box of crayons as your model fro which colors to include) and stop there.
3) Make it able to save and load from either the BMP format or a simple format of your own.
4) Develop the GUI a bit; give it a menu and give it buttons to let you select tools and colors. Don't just make everything keyboard controlled, and put in some icons.
The above is a good basic project you can try. The result won't be spectacular, but it will be functional (if you use the BMP format) or at least fun to play around with. It will give you practice at a good mix of areas of programming, and but it can be done entirely with Win32. If you don't know Win32/MFC/SDL/linux/mac equivalent yet, then I suggest you start learning something.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I suggest a MMORPG, as it seems to be the popular choice for noobs.

The only difference here is you've actually disclosed that you're new to programming.

Whats something you need, I find that when I run out of ideas or dont have the motivation to program I look around and think (for example) "hmmm, I happen to have a lot of books, maybe I should find a way to archive them, hell why don't I write something that will do it for me?" that way you get motivation cause you'll use it when you're finished and you could have something useful when it's all over that over people might want to use.

Later Days
dex_man

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!