David Lynch (Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr.)

Started by
27 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 19 years, 3 months ago
Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, and Twin Peaks are some of his finest work to date. [smile]

I hear he's doing all kinds of new stuff now, and has short films on his website.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Afaik, Eraserhead is not yet available on DVD.

I just found the David Lynch website, and apparently it is available on DVD, but only if you buy it on their site.
Call me crazy, but the only Lynch movie I've liked enough to get on DVD is Dune.
Essentially, Mulholland Drive is a bigger budget remake of Lost Highway. My interpretation of both movies is that, fundamentally, the main characters are in some sort of hell. In other words, before the movies begin, the main characters are already dead, and what you see in the movie is the punishment that they experience (which repeats on and on forever). They experience a ruse of what their life used to be like, with a bit of truth mixed in. It's a distortion of what the characters experiened in their life leading up to their death, with various dream-like sequences, and the horror of the truth usually revealing it's ugly and horrific head near the end of the film. There's even characters that portray demons and the devil himself (although, it's not so obvious at first glance).

When I watched these movies with most of my friends, they just couldn't figure it out, or draw any interpretations from it. It was a little over their heads. But a couple of my friends did understand the deeper connotations underlying both films. It's funny, because most reviewers of David Lynch films have difficulty figuring it out as well, and David Lynch isn't one to explain his movies either, but there is indeed a truely darker meaning to the stories portrayed in them.
JesseT: Why are you so sure that your interpretation is the "correct" one? Even Lynch couldn't "interpret" Mullholand Drive, and semi-realistic explanations like the "characters are in hell" don't really have anything to back them up. Mullholand drive and other Lynch movies,mostly surrealistic, belong to a gender where "crazy" things happen without the need of a rational explanation. They just happen because the director wants them to, and he doesn't have to invent a story to justify them.

I for one believe that there is no need for an explanation to justify what's happening. It's a film. It's a dream(probably the director's), plain and simple, and it follows the mechanisms of a dream. That's that. No need to examine the whereabouts of the characters, you say they're in hell, another one may say they're in a VR game, another may say they're sleeping and dreaming. It doesn't matter, all these explanations are "outside" of the movie.
Quote:Original post by mikeman
JesseT: Why are you so sure that your interpretation is the "correct" one? Even Lynch couldn't "interpret" Mullholand Drive, and semi-realistic explanations like the "characters are in hell" don't really have anything to back them up. Mullholand drive and other Lynch movies,mostly surrealistic, belong to a gender where "crazy" things happen without the need of a rational explanation. They just happen because the director wants them to, and he doesn't have to invent a story to justify them.

I for one believe that there is no need for an explanation to justify what's happening. It's a film. It's a dream(probably the director's), plain and simple, and it follows the mechanisms of a dream. That's that. No need to examine the whereabouts of the characters, you say they're in hell, another one may say they're in a VR game, another may say they're sleeping and dreaming. It doesn't matter, all these explanations are "outside" of the movie.

I suppose. I guess I've played too much Silent Hill.
Whoa. A Silent Hill game written by Lynch would be amazing.
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Afaik, Eraserhead is not yet available on DVD.

Yes, it is! :) A friend of mine has it and I've saw it (here is Region 2, in case it matters). Weird, weird, weird film.
If you like David Lynch, take a look at the Spanish movie The Machinist. I saw it a few weeks ago and you may like it. Some other similar films could be "Solaris", "Memento", "Irreversible" and "Donnie Darko". Have fun!
theNestruoSyntax error in 2410Ok
Quote:Original post by JesseT
and David Lynch isn't one to explain his movies either

My copy of the Mulholland Dr DVD has a sheet with "10 hints from David Lynch for figuring out this movie".

Didn't help, though.

Doesn't matter, either. If I wanted something with a recognizable plot and clear villains, I'd go see the latest movie based on a Grisham novel or something.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Quote:Original post by Arild Fines
Quote:Original post by JesseT
and David Lynch isn't one to explain his movies either

My copy of the Mulholland Dr DVD has a sheet with "10 hints from David Lynch for figuring out this movie".

Didn't help, though.

Doesn't matter, either. If I wanted something with a recognizable plot and clear villains, I'd go see the latest movie based on a Grisham novel or something.

If you wanna "cheat" checkout this explanation:
http://www.franksreelreviews.com/reviews/mdexplain.htm

When I read that explanation it felt really amazing, it all made sense. And it made me wanna watch it again.

/MindWipe

"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement