• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
White Scorpion

[.net] [DirectX]Terrain Generator

This topic is 5063 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone ! I'm now looking at the Terrain Generator part of the tutorial... but I've got a problem. I don't understand the maths behind the following snippets, could someone explain to me what's going on because I really can't understand that code... :(
public void VertexBufferSetUp()
{
	VBuf = new VertexBuffer(typeof(CustomVertex.PositionColored), WIDTH*HEIGHT, D3DDevice,
		Usage.Dynamic | Usage.WriteOnly, CustomVertex.PositionColored.Format, Pool.Default);

int index = 0;
	Vertices = new CustomVertex.PositionColored[WIDTH*HEIGHT];
	for(int x = 0; x < WIDTH; ++x)
	{
		for(int y = 0; y < HEIGHT; ++y)
		{
			index = x+y*WIDTH;
			Vertices[index].Position = new Vector3(x, y, 0);
			Vertices[index].Color = Color.White.ToArgb();
		}
	}

VBuf.SetData(Vertices, 0, LockFlags.None);
}

private void IndicesDeclaration()
  {
    ib = new IndexBuffer(typeof(int), (WIDTH-1)*(HEIGHT-1)*6, device, Usage.WriteOnly, Pool.Default);
    indices = new int[(WIDTH-1)*(HEIGHT-1)*6];
    for (int x=0;x<WIDTH-1;x++)
    {
      for (int y=0; y<HEIGHT-1;y++)
      {
        indices[(x+y*(WIDTH-1))*6] = (x+1)+(y+1)*WIDTH;
        indices[(x+y*(WIDTH-1))*6+1] = (x+1)+y*WIDTH;
        indices[(x+y*(WIDTH-1))*6+2] = x+y*WIDTH;

indices[(x+y*(WIDTH-1))*6+3] = (x+1)+(y+1)*WIDTH;
        indices[(x+y*(WIDTH-1))*6+4] = x+y*WIDTH;
        indices[(x+y*(WIDTH-1))*6+5] = x+(y+1)*WIDTH;
      }
    }
    ib.SetData(indices, 0, LockFlags.None);
  }

Thank you all. [Edited by - White Scorpion on January 3, 2005 11:58:13 AM]

Advertisement
I think your difficulty in understanding is the way that it is accessing a single-dimension array using X and Y coordinates, because that's the only part with numbers in the code snippets really. :)

Say you want a 16x16 grid (of vertices, let's say) being stored in a single-dimension array. The area of 16x16 is 256, so the array will have 256 elements. Let's say we want to refer to X=0 Y=1, which is one down from the top-left corner. So we multiply the Y by the width of the grid to move 'down' that amount, and then add X to move 'across' that amount. Location = (Y*WIDTH)+X

I hope that helps. I had some trouble too when I first started playing with heightmaps and had to work with a single-dimension array rather than the two-dimension arrays that I had been used to. :)

[Edited by - HopeDagger on January 2, 2005 11:30:55 PM]

Yes yes thank you a lot mate ! :D But what about the second one ? I don't understand
indices[(x+y*(WIDTH-1))*3] = ...
nor
indices = new short[(WIDTH-1)*(HEIGHT-1)*6];

indices[(x+y*(WIDTH-1))*3] = ...

The first part, (x+y*(WIDTH-1)) I covered above. It's subtracting one from the width because the last vertices on the end aren't needed. The value is being multiplied by 3 because there are 3 vertices per triangle.

indices = new short[(WIDTH-1)*(HEIGHT-1)*6];

Like I said above, it's WIDTH-1 (or HEIGHT-1) because the last row/column isn't needed, since the second-last triangles will cover the final row/column. It is multiplied by 6 because each square block on the 'grid' is 2 triangles (6 vertices).

Hope that helps! :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!