Normal Homosexuality

Started by
45 comments, last by golopart 19 years, 3 months ago
I'm watching this documentary called "Keep the River to Your Right: A Cannibal's Tale": NetFlix Clicky. Google for more detailed synopses. And the movie really isn't about cannibalism; if you watch it you can see that the word was just a selling point. So anyway, the documentary follows a former painter, active anthropologist by the name Tobias Shneebaum, currently a life New Yorker. It talks about how he supports himself by lecturing about a little place in New Guinea, South America called Asmat. Through the begginning you are taken on the tourist route through Asmat where at first you see the ceremonial circumcision of 40 adolescents (local anaethetic used today), which was just to prepare you for the normal customs in Asmat. 45 years earlier Tobias had visited Asmat as an anthropologist and a participant as an open homosexual. So presumeably it wasn't a major change in sex life to engage in homosexual relationships in a village where he stayed. In fact, the documentary says that in the southern part of Asmat (or maybe south there of... [can't remember]), every male has atleast one male lover, as well as a wife. This is the norm in Asmat. When he returned 45 years later he was overjoyed to reunite with his male companion Aimit. Anway, I'm half-way through the documentary and the "cannibalism" thing is a very small part of the documentary. And his cannibalism experience happened in Peru, not New Guinea. From what I've partially watched (I'm writing this while peeking), he tells you about other novel customs like in Asmat you greet with your chins (caressing like a cat; this does not indicate relationship), while in another part of the island males greet one another by grabbing balls. So, the documentary is highly recommended; it grabs you by the balls, so to speak, and opens your eyes to other cultures and makes you question your own Western (maybe) culture. I actually considered personal bisexuality for a moment as I was watching it. So, discussion is about homosexuality that could plausibly be normal in a first-world society, and anecdotes about similar eye-openers. Edit: Concerning clarifications: Asmat is not only village, it's quite sizeable from what I can tell. And the definition of normal is: practically every one is doing it. So don't confuse normal with just "socially accepted at the moment". The homosexuality is more of a de facto thing as circumcision is. [Edited by - golopart on January 2, 2005 11:07:41 PM]
Advertisement
Uhhh....
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
That certainly does sound interesting (rating ++).

Quote:
it grabs you by the balls, so to speak

lmao

so, how developed is asmat again? Maybe I need to reread your post. Well, it says south africa, but, south africa is actually more developed than the rest of the country I've heard.
Why don't alcoholics make good calculus teachers?Because they don't know their limits!Oh come on, Newton wasn't THAT smart...
Quote:Original post by Ainokea
Uhhh....

my thoughts exactly.
Quote:Original post by Ainokea
Uhhh....

Sigh. Just see the documentary... [headshake]

edit: how do you do that shaking head icon "[no]...[shake]" don't work.
Oh no, the original poster might've started an intellectual discussion on homosexuality, BAN HIM...sheesshhh...you guys could spare us the innane 'uhh' comments so the people capable of having a mature discussion can take place.
Why don't alcoholics make good calculus teachers?Because they don't know their limits!Oh come on, Newton wasn't THAT smart...
Quote:Original post by golopart

[headshake] ← [ headshake ]
Quote:Original post by shadow12345
That certainly does sound interesting (rating ++).

Quote:
it grabs you by the balls, so to speak

lmao

so, how developed is asmat again? Maybe I need to reread your post. Well, it says south africa, but, south africa is actually more developed than the rest of the country I've heard.

Crap, maybe I got the continent wrong? Anyway, Asmat is tribal-like, you know, men dancing in rituals with penis sheaths on and body paint, etc. People generally walk around barefoot in mud, but they have boats and bungalos, and are constantly visited by tourists and the outside so you see instances of modern civilization like t-shirts and sunglasses; they may even have electricity. I'll probably watch it over again to pay more attention.
Quote:Original post by darookie
Quote:Original post by golopart

[headshake] ← [ headshake ]

Thanks! *applies to post* you=++.
edit: LOL: my rating: 1001 -> 994 ???!!!
Topic aside, I'm watching the movie and he's reading out of his book he wrote (that doc. may be based on) and he's explaining the cannibalism and how he didn't try to stop the tribal scurmishes that he knew led to the cannibalism. He says he was an observer, ie, except for consuming flesh. Interesting story!

edit: of course he became physically sick at the sight of killing (and probably anticipation of eating).
edit: the cannibalism story is starting to unravel, so I take back that it was only a small part.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement