• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Brendan Bond

My MSDN CD is scratched!

This topic is 4971 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just reformatted, and as I began to install Visual C++ .NET Standard 2003 I was unhappy to discover that my MSDN Library CDs (or at least CD1) have been scratched! I was wondering if anyone had any information as to whether Microsoft replaces these CDs, whether they have a download center for the 2003 MSDN Library (like they do for the 2005 beta library), or maybe whether there are any other alternate ways to install the MSDN 2003 Library. Any help is appreciated! -Brendan Bond

Advertisement
Is it the top surface or the bottom surface that is scratched?
I ask this because many people did not know that the data is actually stored on the top surface, just below the label. So you can actually polish the bottom surface away until is is flat again and away you go. (Get this done in a shop of course, although I've heard that toothpaste works okay too)[wink]
Just be caseful to not scratch the top by writing on it with a sharp pencil!

Try it in any other drives you can too as some drives are more tolerant of scratches than others.

If you have an MSDN Library Subscription you can download it from Microsoft, I also heard a while ago that Microsoft was offering MSDN Library for download...though that may have been a "Limited time offer"

Thanks for the replies! I think the first thing I'll do is try to get the CDs repaired at a shop (thanks again iMalc). Perfectly_dark, I couldn't find an MSDN Library download offer on Microsoft's website, so I think that it was a limited-time offer. Thanks for the info, though!

-Brendan Bond

get ms to send you a free trial version of visual studio, a friend of mine did that, they send you like 7 cd's, includign the 3 msdn cd's in a nice little cardboard thingy.

Quote:
Original post by iMalc
I ask this because many people did not know that the data is actually stored on the top surface, just below the label. So you can actually polish the bottom surface away until is is flat again and away you go. (Get this done in a shop of course, although I've heard that toothpaste works okay too)[wink]

Try it in any other drives you can too as some drives are more tolerant of scratches than others.

I didnt know this cool but are you sure its the top surface.
I mean I have a cd labeling kit which makes sickers for the top of the cd. How can it be reading the top through the sticker?
Unless we are only talking about the small circle around the center of the cd.

-CProgammer

Quote:
Original post by CProgrammer
I mean I have a cd labeling kit which makes sickers for the top of the cd. How can it be reading the top through the sticker?

-CProgammer

I believe it is true, once I was putting a sticker on the top surface of a cd, and I placed it at an angle by mistake, so I ripped the sticker off.

It took the top layer of the cd off, and the cd no longer would read

Lessons learned

:)

Quote:
Original post by CProgrammer
Quote:
Original post by iMalc

-CProgammer
Well it is on the top surface (there is some amount of coating on top of that too of course), but it reads it through the CD from the bottom. The scratches underneath simply refract the laser through to the wrong bits on the top surface and give you misreads.
Sorry for the confusion.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!