[java] Testing servlets on Win XP ?

Started by
3 comments, last by Aldacron 19 years, 3 months ago
Hi guys, I learned that IIS doesn't support Java servlets unless you have a plug-in, after lots of searching and getting confused I found this: http://www.newatlanta.com/c/products/servletexec/download/home The free version allows 3 concurrent connections which is pretty good for testing by myself. All I really want to do is be able to program and learn servlets, I only have a Win XP Pro computer (whish I have IIS 5 on) so I guess that's what I have to do. I saw an article that used some ASP adapter but you have to use the Microsoft JDK which I don't want to use. Also, most of the articles I found seemed pretty old (IIS 4, Win NT). So is that my best bet, or maybe I can do something else ? I want to get down to programming the applets/servlets and not spend too much time configuring my computer (and getting frustrated) just to get them to run. Thanks.
Advertisement
Take a look at Tomcat.
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Hi again,

Can I just use the Sun Java System Application Server Platform Edition 8 to test my servlets ?

PS - I kinda feel like an idiot asking these questions, sorry.
Use anything that claims to run servlets - they're all the same (as far as the servlet is concerned) - this is the point of having a J2EE standard :).

In practice, they're radically different of course :(.

Personally, I feel Tomcat should have been strangled at birth; I would strongly suggest JBoss instead. Tomcat's design, documentation, and bugs have historically been horrendous, whereas JBoss has had more direction and intelligent planning.

Sadly, all J2EE servers can be a nightmare to setup and maintain, which is why I hate using J2EE (the standard doesn't cover the server config, so every vendor does it differently, and most of them do it in pointlessly difficult and complex ways). I suggest you try TC and JB first, see if you can get one running in 10 minutes; it's useful experience to be able to get one or both of them running. If not, start trying others. If all you want is to test your servlets, don't faff about trying to understand the J2EE server.

redmialbmeb
JBoss is a bit heavy just for running servlets locally. It's more than just a servlet container. In fact, one configuration of JBoss includes Tomcat as the servlet container. Besides which, I have found it useful to get to know both Tomcat and Resin (which isn't open source but does have a free license) and learn the differences between both. If you ever get a service provider for JSPs and Servlets they will most likely be using one or the other. You normally won't run into JBoss or other enterprise class packages (such as WebSphere) outside of the office, unless you are setting it up yourself on a dedicated server somewhere. And using Tomcat or Resin alone is much, much sim,pler to configure and maintain than JBoss.

Jetty is another lightweight Servlet container to look into. For personal development and initial testing, it's my favorite. It's very, very lightweight (designed to be embeddable) and very easy to configure and get up and running.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement