i want to know how to begin about learning game programming

Started by
3 comments, last by Jaguar_Lee 19 years, 3 months ago
im a beginner about game programming. i want to start 2d game programming with c/c++. how about the engine? what is a game engine? where can i get a free engine.id read something about a engine in this forums but i dont know exactly what can i do about with it.
Advertisement
An engine has many definitions and I am sure you will get many more after this post. My idea of an engine is a reusable layer of code that makes game coding easier. The engine can deal with drawing, calculations, input, audio...anything. The purpose is reusable code that takes a complicated idea like setting up a DirectX window and makes it easy.

If the game is simple it may not require too much of an engine. Not everything requires the most hardcore engine around and a simple do-it-yourself engine will work fine many times.
You should start here. Most questions are usually answered at that page.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

An engine is the code that you use to display graphics, play sounds, set up windows, and other general tasks. Usually they're pretty re-usable: One of your games will probably have the exact same code as another of your games as far as setting up a window goes. This can go into your engine: Instead of typing the same code twice, you use the part of your engine dealing with windows.

If you don't yet know C++, I'd recommend picking up a book. My suggestion is "C++ For Dummies" by Stephen Randy Davis. It'll give you all the programming knowledge you know to start learning how to program games.

Once you're at the point where you know C++, I'd pick up a book concentrating more specifically on games. A good beginner's book is "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus," by Andre Lamothe. It'll teach you everything you need about 2D graphics, windows, sounds, etc., so you can start making your games.

Good luck.

-Gauvir_Mucca
thanks a lot for all your reply. i think i'd found my way out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement