Source code revision control

Started by
11 comments, last by Drew_Benton 19 years, 3 months ago
I know that a lot of people have asked this question, but that was usually about having more than one programmer and finding the right revision control program for a team. I'm just by myself, and I wanted to know are there any revision control programs that are better suited to a single user?
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
Advertisement
Perforce.
i use CVS and Subversion in both team and solo enviroments ... currently, my for my last 2 solo projects I choose to go with a subversion repository instead of cvs mainly because of the improved binary file handling (cvs, vss, and many others treat binary files differently from text files, and require special marking and less efficient storage for them).
I'm sure glad someone asked this question. I too am looking for a way to control my source code. I started up CVS - but I really couldn't figure it out. I think I just need to read a tutorial on it [wink]. I gave the Visual Source Safe a try too - but it disappeared all of a sudden on one of my projects. I don't know what happened to it. The AP suggested Perforce, but that's too expensive for people like us [smile].

I found a list of some main SCM tools and comments here:
Quote:
The world's most incomplete list of SCM tools

The SCM tools that I mention most often in this series are listed below, with hyperlinks for more information.

* Vault. Our product. 'Nuff said.
* SourceSafe. Microsoft. Old. Loved. Hated.
* Subversion. Open source. New. Neato.
* CVS. Open source. Old. Reliable. Dusty.
* Perforce. Commercial. A competitor of SourceGear, but one that I admire.

This is a very incomplete list. There are many SCM tools, and I am not interested in trying to produce and maintain and accurate listing of them all.

From seeing prices on all of the different tools, I'd suggest what Xai has said, CVS and Subversion. Both are free so thats a good idea! I will give Subversion a try and see if I hav eany luck with it. Thanks Xai for the suggestions - you have helped more than the OP [smile].

[edit] I also found refrence to Bloof from this GameDev article.[/edit]
Subversion with AnkhSVN and TortoiseSVN.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
Quote:Original post by antareus
Subversion with AnkhSVN and TortoiseSVN.

I use this combination too (subversion and tortoisesvn). It works really fine.
Give it a try, because you won't find any better program for this price :)
Subversion with TRAC / TortoiseSVN is a pretty good combo.
The only downside to TortoiseSVN is the lag from the explorer extensions sometimes, this can be disabled though.

Simon 'Barog' BarrattPineapple Interactivew: http://www.pineapple-interactive.com
I use AnkhSVN and Subversion too...
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I cast my vote for Subversion as well.
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
The AP suggested Perforce, but that's too expensive for people like us [smile]

Unless of course, you're developing Open Source Software, in which case it's free. \o/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement