• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Exact available Video Ram? Texture size?

This topic is 4800 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Greetings! I was wondering how could i achieve something like this: temp = save_video_mem_state loadtexture with mipmaps ram_required = temp - video_mem_state I saw something like GEtAvailableTexture mem but it is too unprecize. Any ideas how I could determine texture size with mipmaps?

Advertisement
Quote:
I saw something like GetAvailableTexture mem but it is too unprecize.

I know what you mean by "unprecise" but in truth, it is a correct value. Texture memory can also include AGP memory, whilst you might not *want* to use it, it is there to be used if necessary.

Quote:
Any ideas how I could determine texture size with mipmaps?

It's not actually that complicated. Work out how many bits-per-pixel you're using (e.g. D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 = 32bit/pixel) multiplied by the height/width of the texture, and recursively do this for each mip-map level you generate.

Technically you'd want to examine the pitch of the texture - but iirc for 2^n texture sizes this doesn't factor in. Also, the header required to describe the texture is negligeable.

As an example... a 128x64 texture in a 32bit mode:

128x64x4 = 32768
64x32x4 = 8192
32x16x4 = 2048
16x8x4 = 512
8x4x4 = 128
4x2x4 = 32
2x1x4 = 8

TOTAL = 43688 (~43kb)

Obviously, the above example is a full chain (setting '0' as the parameter in calls to D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx..), you'd want to limit the above calculation...

//this code is untested/off the top of my head
//it should calculate memory usage for a complete mip-map chain,
//it shouldn't be too hard to modify it to calculate 'n' mip-map levels..
DWORD CalcTexMemUsage(int iWidth, int iHeight, int iBitsPerPixel)
{
DWORD dwThisLevel = (iWidth * iHeight * (iBitsPerPixel / 8));

if( ( iWidth == 1 ) || ( iHeight == 1 ) )
return dwThisLevel;
else
return dwThisLevel + CalcTexMemUsage(iWidth / 2, iHeight / 2, iBitsPerPixel);
}

hth
Jack

Thank you for the reply.
I'm aware how to compute pixels and bitdepth, I didn't post my request correct.

I was wondering if DirectX supports any method/functions with LPD3DXTEXTURE9 whith computes souch things automaticaly? How can i figure out how many lods are supported in my texture? How can I read out the bitdepth? If I try to access widtht & height it throws me an error!

Thank you for any suggestion.

You can get the surface description for a given mip-map level quite easily:

I don't know of this LPD3DXTEXTURE9 you mention, so I'll assume you just meant IDirect3DTexture9 / LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9

IDirect3DTexture9::GetLevelCount() will tell you how many levels have been generated.

You can then use this as the basis for a loop to cycle through each level:

IDirect3DTexture9::GetLevelDesc() takes in the loop index and a pointer to a D3DSURFACE_DESC. You can then use the Width, Height and Format fields of this struct to get the information you want.

I'm not aware of a built in function that'll decode a D3DFORMAT from it's constant down to the number of bits/bytes of space it occupies; but it's fairly easy to write one as a switch-case function to cover the formats you're expecting to encounter...

Put all the stuff in my two posts together and you could easily write a little function that takes in a loaded texture and computes how much memory it takes up and any other related mip-map information you want.

Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement