Please speed test my game :)

Started by
10 comments, last by Joakim_ar 19 years, 3 months ago
I made a remake of Gravitational Combat for a 24h contest (in a recently beta released compiler called FreeBASIC, find it at freebasic.net), and I think it turned out quite ok, so I kinda want to distribute it to a broader audience (for free of course, it's a minigame); the problem is, I have no idea if SDL waits for vertical retrace or not. The game seems to run at the same speed on different computers, but I've only had the chance to test three, so if you could download it and test if it runs at the right speed, that'd be great! Scorched Planets (yeah, I had to make that name up in less than five minutes in order to finish in time) Thank you :) Oh, and tell me what you think about it too :)
In case you were wondering what to put in your next christian game; don't ask me, because I'm an atheist, an infidel, and all in all an antitheist. If that doesn't bother you, visit my site that has all kinds of small utilities and widgets.
Advertisement
It runs very well in 1024x768 on my 900mhz athon, 256RAM, Radeon 7200.

It's quite fun actually, but it definitely needs more action, like different types of weapons and being able to move. Destructible planets? The graphics are nice and crisp but you might want to add a starfield behind the planets.

Well done! Is it your first game?
Not at all hehe. That's a bit insulting actually :P Just kidding, anyways, the reason why it's so limited is because of the 24h limit I had to constraint to, and I couldn't even use 12 hours on it because of other arangements.

But of course I could expand it now :) I've heard requests for destuctible planets from other testers too, so I think that'll be one of my high priorities. Multiple weapons could be cool, but then, how would one obtain them? Or maybe you should have one planet destroying rocket each round or something like that. Or I could make "creates" that you need to hit in order to get powerups (say teleport, planet destroying projectiles or heat seaking bullets).

Thanks a lot for testing it and your suggestions :)
In case you were wondering what to put in your next christian game; don't ask me, because I'm an atheist, an infidel, and all in all an antitheist. If that doesn't bother you, visit my site that has all kinds of small utilities and widgets.
Quote:Original post by Joakim_ar
But of course I could expand it now :) I've heard requests for destuctible planets from other testers too, so I think that'll be one of my high priorities. Multiple weapons could be cool, but then, how would one obtain them? Or maybe you should have one planet destroying rocket each round or something like that. Or I could make "creates" that you need to hit in order to get powerups (say teleport, planet destroying projectiles or heat seaking bullets).

What i mean by destructible planets is that you could blow a hole into one, or drill through it. I think the players should be given most weapons in the beginning and some crates with super weapons should pop up.
Oh, well I think I'll stick to the very simple concept it has now, and then expand from there. Both players will start with one weapon, but creates will appear with more powerful weapons. When you destroy a create with a weapon, you get one shot with this weapon, and then you go back to the normal bullets. Some more graphics would be nice... I think I need to find an artist. If any artist is reading this and want to help me, don't hesitate to post!

I should probably add sound and some quiet spacey music, but that's not my main priority at the moment. Internet multiplayer would be nice too, but I am currently not aware of any tcp libraries for freeBASIC. AI would be a possibility too.
Awesome job! The game is a ton of fun!

Also, it ran great on my pc:

P4 1.7 g
256 Ram
GeForce 4 2Go

Post something if you make a nice update to the game!

Matt Hughson
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Runs superb. Lots of fun too!

P4 2.4GHz
512 MB RAM
Radeon 9700 64MB VRAM

Tiny update: There is now sound and gravity now also applies to particles. This is the final version :) If you expirience lockups, simply run Fullscreen Silent.lnk instead of Scorched Earth.lnk.
BTW, thanks a lot for your testing :) I feel pretty confident now that it runs at the right speed on most computers.
Password protected zip? eh nm...what a tough hack :)

Well played for a bit..Speed seams fine on my P4 2.4Ghz 256 RAM GeForce 5200 124 RAM. Only thing I could see "wrong" with destroyable planets is setting up the kill shot of other playa would take longer. Maybe for higher levels? if you make them.

BTW, some misses were fun to watch. I had the bullet in orbit for a while for one of my shots. hehe

It would crash after a while. I think from when I had some shots that took a long time to collide.

This was for a contest eh? Were the others like yours or did they turn out lot different?

And all this in a basic? Maybe I'll take a looky.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement