• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
peter_b

how to draw a 2d view of the view frustum?

This topic is 5064 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I am currently working on a quadtree and viewfrustum culling. I however want to be able to draw a 2d top-down view of the tree and the frustum. The tree is easy since its just a grid of rectangles. But the view frustum is harder since i need a way to calculate which lines to draw. So what i need is a way to calculate the 2d lines that should make out the top view of the frustum. Iv just gotten into planes and i cant see how i would extract the lines to draw from them, and i was thinking maybe someone else had already done something similiar? I think that maybe i can just throw away the planes y coordinate to get 2d lines instead of planes.. or something like that maybe? this is what my plane&frustum looks like:
	struct plane_t
	{
		float		m_distance;
		vector3d_t	m_normal;
	};

struct frustum_t
	{
		plane_t m_left_plane;
		plane_t m_right_plane;
		plane_t m_top_plane;
		plane_t m_bottom_plane;
		plane_t m_near_plane;
		plane_t m_far_plane;		
	};

// i want do do something like this:
void draw_frustum(const frustum_t& frustum, float scale);

I dont know if i explain so you understand so i have made a picture where i have painted what i want to do onto the 2d presentation of the quadtree: http://hem.passagen.se/storage/view.gif Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
I assume you're trying to draw a map on the screen, letting you see where it is you're going.

Anyway, there's 2 ways to go about it.

1: Re-draw it top down, over the top of everything else, only scaled down
2: Draw it top down, but render it to a texture, then render the scene, and draw the texture (scaled down) over the top.

The 2nd way's a little slower, but just like in the other thread where they were talking about portals, you can apply cool effects to it and such. ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!