• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Texture shaders

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was just looking through the DX9 (Dec. 2004) docs and came across the D3DX texture shader interface and associated functions. I know this might be a longshot or wishful thinking, but does anybody know if the HLSL texture shaders are executed on the GPU? or are they doomed to pre-processing usage because they're run on the CPU. Thanks for any info, -Mezz

Advertisement
depends on if you support vertex/pixel shaders in hardware. if you do, they run on the gpu. if not, they run on cpu.

Well, the reason I ask is that there are D3DXTextureFill() functions which take C functions which are executed each pixel, and they're blatently not going to be executed on the GPU. It's only the D3DXTextureFillTX() function which takes a texture shader interface (it used to be just a compiled shader code pointer!) so I'm not sure if it's actually going to use the GPU, or if it's just a convenience method. The docs don't say anything about where it gets executed, which is annoying.

-Mezz

I seem to recall it always runs in software. However, the return value docs say:
Quote:
If the function succeeds, the return value is D3D_OK.

If the function fails, the return value can be one of the following:
D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE - This device does not support the queried technique.
D3DERR_INVALIDCALL - The method call is invalid. For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement