splitting strings... 2 questions

Started by
6 comments, last by corliss 19 years, 3 months ago
Hello there.. How are you all doing? Anyways, i need a function for splitting strings... ex: this is my string: "hello world!. this sux!" so arg[0] will be hello arg[1]: world!. arg[2]: this arg[3]: sux! get it? okay question number two: how can i get rid of individual characters in a string? i have this: ":::::hello" and i want it to be "hello" thank you.. best regards, max EDIT: auch, forgot two things: im running linux, and im programming in C... Than kyou :)
Advertisement
strtok() may be what you are looking for, though, I am sure there are better options for what you want.
Actually i just tested that:

/* strtok example */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

int main ()
{
char str[] ="This is a sample string,just testing.";
char * pch;
printf ("Splitting string \"%s\" in tokens:\n",str);
pch = strtok (str," ");
while (pch != NULL)
{
printf ("%s\n",pch);
pch = strtok (NULL, " ,.");
}
return 0;
}

But how can i add code to that so it makes args[0] is "this" args[1] is "is" and so on...
couse i dont know how i could use that otherwise

thanks...
Here's a way of doing it but there is one drawback - there is a maximum number of arguments that you can store. You could always go through the string first and count the number of delimitting characters - from this you could work out a safe size for your 'args' array. Or, you could do something with dynamic memory like a linked list...

Anyway, here's the code:

char str[] ="This is a sample string,just testing.";	char* args[32];		// <<< 32 is the max number of arguments you can storeint iNumArgs = 0;	args[0] = strtok(str, " ");while ( args[iNumArgs] ){	args[++iNumArgs] = strtok( NULL, " ,." );}

At the end of the loop, 'iNumArgs' would store the total number of arguments in the string and the 'args' array would hold the pointers to your arguments...

James Bird
boost::algorithm::split
Thank you very much!
You could use std::vector to store what comes from strtok:

char str[] ="This is a sample string,just testing.";	std::vector<char*> args;int iNumArgs = 0;	args[0] = strtok(str, " ");while ( args[iNumArgs] ){	args.push_back(strtok( NULL, " ,." ));        iNumArgs++;}

That should work
Only problem with using std::vector is that it does not exist in C.

Minor technicality. =)

Chris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement