• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

My first text-game ever......

This topic is 4795 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone! I just finished up doing my first text-game ever. It is a guessing game, and I wanted to know what you guys thought about that game. http://www.geocities.com/drjulio2001/Guessing.zip Thanks! Julio Cruz! P.S: I think I could retire of making games! What you think? Besides it only took my 4 years.....trying to programs that is....ok thanks.

Advertisement
Well, I have no idea what you're talking about with the retirement stuff, but the game is a good programming start!

Hello everyone!

What game could I continue making so that my programming skill well increase? I'm thinking on making a text-rpg game for my next little-project but, what do you guys think?

Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by drjulio2002
Hello everyone!

What game could I continue making so that my programming skill well increase? I'm thinking on making a text-rpg game for my next little-project but, what do you guys think?

Thanks!

I'd suggest Tic-Tac-Toe before an RPG. http://www.gametutorials.com has a good TTT tutorial.

I'm curious... what exactly took you 4 years? 4 years in highschool with programming classes? 4 years reading programming books? 4 years using a computer? 4 years to make that program perfect? Just not too sure what you meant there. And if you work at it, becoming a seasoned programmer with lots of steam and effort used, you can retire on programming I guess you could say.

Make some more text games, have some fun with math problems... make lots of different little programs that you may not ever use... but it sure is fun (at least for me) to work for a bit on any useless thing and get a good result. Then start working on games like tic tac toe... and then expand to OpenGl... or whatever you like.

1 little question, how come it creates a file called gmon.out when i run the compiled one, but when I compile the source it does not? That seems kinda weird and a little suspicious to me but I'm pretty new at this. Is it some sort peculiarity of C or something?

I guess that's two questions :).

And the size of the two .exe files are different. One is 21,332 bytes and the other is 29,395 bytes. That's a spread of about 8k. Insignificant? Maybe.

Is there something fishy going on or am I complete retard?

And one of the headings on your site says "Virus Reproductions." You freaking turd. What the hell is up with your "first text-game ever......"

Quote:
Original post by skulldrudgery
1 little question, how come it creates a file called gmon.out when i run the compiled one, but when I compile the source it does not? That seems kinda weird and a little suspicious to me but I'm pretty new at this. Is it some sort peculiarity of C or something?

I guess that's two questions :).

gmon.out ia generated by a profiler, which obviously means one was compiled in when he compiled the binary. This explains the extra size.

Quote:

And one of the headings on your site says "Virus Reproductions." You freaking turd. What the hell is up with your "first text-game ever......"

The explanation is given above, and you really should wait for the author to provide an explanation before you start insulting him.

I defer to your superior knowledge...

If it is harmless then I apologize. As I said I am pretty new at programming. I just put several things together, maybe mistakenly.

Again I apologise if this was just harmless.

Hello everyone!

I most say first of all my programming experience hasn't been as perfect as I wanted to be. I started programming in C++ fourth years ago and lasted about a year reading and writing programs with the book "Learn C++ in 24 Hours". Yes people I fall for this book, I basically believed that I could learn everything about C++ in 24 hours. I was a very beginner back then. Anyways when I finished the book I realized I didn't had enought very basic techniques of creating a very basic guessing-game in C++. I found out that I didn't understand C++ enought to be able to program in it. Fast forwaring the situation, then I decided to program in QBasic, a very basic language, but good to understand what programming is all about. I lasted two years programming in it and I was able to program a lot more programs then in C++ because I understood it more. Then, now (the year that have past 2004) I had jumped from QBasic to C Programming, because the C programming language isn't a very long language to learn as we all know and it makes more sence then C++ programming when it comes to it syntax, but all this is just my opinion. Sorry!

Hopefully, that wasn't too much about my background experience in programming.

About the guessing-game clone I'm using dev- c++ 4.9.9.1 to program in c programming what I do is just write my code and compile and run and if I need to debug the program I just start debuging that all, if there is something extract in the source code, or that the program creates that basically I believe that the Dev- C++ 4.9.9.1 creates it for some reason or another, but this isn't a virus program reproduction. about that virus program reproduction that suppose to be a OpenGL screen saver that I'm planing to make when I learn OpenGL that illustrates a Virus how it reproduces itself, well I'll tell you guys more about it later, ok if you guys have more comments and opinions about the source-code, just remember I'm still a beginner programmer in C Programming, and I'm just trying my best to be a good programmer. Thank you for understanding!

Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by drjulio2002
about that virus program reproduction that suppose to be a OpenGL screen saver that I'm planing to make when I learn OpenGL that illustrates a Virus how it reproduces itself, well I'll tell you guys more about it later

Well, you might want to consider explaining this now, because this is grounds for a quick ban.

Hello Everyone!

Before this get ban out of this forum the Virus Reproduction is a screen saver. It is not intended to be a real virus computer program but, a harmless screen saver. It is going to use OpenGL API. When the screen saver starts the first thing the user is going to see is Microscope look a-like cell-virus in red and then is just going to reproduce itself through out the screen. It might sound dumb or stupid and probably it is, but what do you guys think I sould do continue with this ideas or ban this idea out of future projects?

Thanks for your reply!

Ah, that makes more sense. I, as well as a a few others, had thought that you meant a computer virus. Well, good luck with your graphical journey. I hope you achieve success!

lol, first try and I won.

Guessing Game
You've got 5 chances to guess the number from 0 to 10.
Chance number #1: 3

Congratulations player wins. Do you want to play again?

Nice game, keep it up.

Hi drjulio2002

I havent got around to looking at your text game as of yet but congratulations on your first game.
I was quiet interested in one of your replys as to what language you have been studying.
Im very new to the C++ world I have been studying the language for about 6 months and have come to a complete stand still with it as I find it very difficult and dont know what to do to advance in this language.
I read in your reply that you learnt a langauge called QBasic, then moved onto C, do you think this would be the better route for me to go down as it has seemed to work for you? Would anyone else recommend this??

I think a text RPG is a good and natural progression to what you have done, though I must admit you will have some frustration. I was a beginner a long time ago and I bought "Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours." Well, actually my mom bought it for me along with Jasma's C++ Programmers Bible(which isnt too bad.) But I created a text RPG, used an array to create a map. a very large array. Used a fill function to create the walls/monsters encountered within the array, eventually added travelling merchants, a castle you could buy after a while where you could grow your population, tax, fortify.. and so on. It grew into a project that took months of my time, and only 2 or 3 people played it... What I am getting at is dont invest too much of your time in the intermediate projects, since they dont interest too many people but yourself. Learn the basics of the text RPG then move on to graphical programming, if your goal is game programming.

Quote:
Original post by frankiej
Hi drjulio2002

I havent got around to looking at your text game as of yet but congratulations on your first game.
I was quiet interested in one of your replys as to what language you have been studying.
Im very new to the C++ world I have been studying the language for about 6 months and have come to a complete stand still with it as I find it very difficult and dont know what to do to advance in this language.
I read in your reply that you learnt a langauge called QBasic, then moved onto C, do you think this would be the better route for me to go down as it has seemed to work for you? Would anyone else recommend this??

I know the feeling.
See'ing as how you tried to learn C++ and did'nt succeed, I would recommend that you start with something smaller and similar to C++. What I'm refering to is C. IMO, once you know and understand C very well C++ should be a breeze.

I would'nt learn QBasic as it's an old and waste of time, but still useful language... Especially to learn the basics of programming. But, why not just jump into C? it's less harder than C++, smaller and you can do anything in C that you can in C++ only it might take more code to do something. Aside from all of that, C is an Extremely powerful language. I started C with a book many would consider LAME but since it seems like C++ was your first attempt to learn to program and you did'nt get very far, I recommend you look up a book called "C A BEGGINERS GUIDE TO C" If it was'nt for that book I would'nt have never gotten this far in learning C. The book I just mentioned is VERY easy to understand and shows you enough of the basics to go unto more advanced C books. Also, the book has you make a game at the end, it's a blackjack game.

Well, All that I said might or more than likely put some C++ peeps on the offensive but, I only said what I said because you did'nt get very far with C++.
So, it's all up to you. If I had to do it all over again and learn a programming language, I would still go the C route over any other language.

C just offers so much flexibility and power and it's easier to start with as oppose to C++. The term "easier" more appropiately applies to people who are new to programming.

edit: Correction, The book on C I mentioned above is wrong, The corrent name is "Absolute Beginner's Guide To C"

Thanks everyone for your replies, they are very interested. Maybe I need to look into C programming if QBasic is an older program. xllx_relient_xllx
could you let me know the name of the author of the C book? Many Thanks everyone.

Hello everyone!

xllx_relient_xllx I agree about jumping straight into the C Programming Language from "the Get-Go", all while using good programming books to tech you and get you to the programmer's goal, that is to create computer games. So, for frankiej I must say the same thing that xllx_relient_xllx said that QBasic is too old, and of course C Programming is the best programming language to program and understand. But, I started with QBasic because I saw that the book I had was interesting, because it give me real-world challenging problems to solve and turn those problem to a program soluction. So, basically it was the programming problems that the book "QBasic Second Edition" help me alot. Go for C Programming! All the way!

Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by frankiej
Thanks everyone for your replies, they are very interested. Maybe I need to look into C programming if QBasic is an older program. xllx_relient_xllx
could you let me know the name of the author of the C book? Many Thanks everyone.

Sure, Author's name is, Greg Perry.

Direct link to the book on amazon.com
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672305100/qid=1104884166/sr=8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i8_xgl14/104-4052597-9209528?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

just a word. You may want to consider changing the name and what it dose because some people will react by thinking its a virus and not play your game or when the screen saver comes up they will think that it is because i virus is getting in so they will freak out and shut down their comp not that im mad at you i just thought it would be a helpful tip so that people are more likly to play your game [grin]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement