• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Introduction to Animation

This topic is 4857 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What kinds of animation exist? I've learned a little about forward and inverse kinematic animation. IK seems to be much more elegant than FK, but i'm wondering if this type of animation could solve all ours troubles... Should i use another types of animations? whats? And where i could find some information/tutos about animations? thanks in advance

Advertisement
google for information/tutos... (i do not remember any..)
i suggest you to search about bone animation...
and you may use keyframe animation too... (which is better for simple projects)

From what I understand there's basically 3 types of animation...

Keyframes = multiple copies of a mesh in different poses, linearly interpolate vertices

Skeletal = matrices for each bone specifying rotations

IK = given some constraints and location of limbs or whatever, work backwards to determine joint angles.. I guess this is also used for things like ragdolls?

IK seems really powerful, though I don't know if it's used in too many games. It also suffers from the fact that a "mathematical" solution to animation isn't always the same as an "artistic" solution. Thus, IK systems may require a lot of tweaking.

There's also "blended IK", I guess you would call it... This basically simulates IK by blending together different meshes. For example, let's say you wanted to have a character aim at a target, and his whole body deforms naturally. Like, if he's aiming at the sky, then his shoulders will be tensed up, his neck and back craned backwards and his knees slightly bent... In this case, maybe you could create 2 poses of the guy, one facing straight and one facing upwards. (using bones). Then, as he aims at a higher and higher angle, blend between the two poses using the proper weights for each animation.

Hope that makes sense :)

Raj

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement