• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Codejoy

the modeling of a pogo stick

This topic is 5066 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So i was playing this game for palm called Bike or Die, and thought how the dynamics might change if ur main vehicle was a pogo stick. Though physics is not my forte, but I wanted to play around with the idea soi turn here to get some search links, key words etc to find what im looking for: basically I want to model a pogo stick. Simple at first. Think of it as two sprites, the handlebars and stepping area is one sprite, the stick that bounces (where the spring is) is the second sprite. THe handle/pedal area overlaps the stick part. They move independently as a pogo stick would. Id like it to be where the user can hold the button down for a while, to compress the pogo stick and let go getting a good jump out of it. The longer they hold it down, the more it compresses and thus jumps higher. I suspect the "idle" animation would be a settle bounce that is mostly graphical than anything else. Now here we get to the parts im just not sure bout: (btw this would be for a 2d side scrolling type of game) I think even if i have atile based engine this game would have to use more tighter collision, akin to the game "N" http://www.flipcode.com/cgi-bin/fcarticles.cgi?show=65033 But i want to start small, for now just concentrate on getting the two independent bodies to work to jump higher the longer the button is held down. Later would come (not much later though) it compressing all the way if it hits ground from a jump at a greater height (i.e. jump off a platform down and hit the other platform) too much compression would break ur pogo stick :) Later on Id like to turn to this: http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/tutorials.html to get the pogo stick moving around a world that is only semi tile based. This is a good resource im sure (Again my physics is lacking) but id like to start simpler still with the above scenario and work my way to the following. The second thing is, the above tutorials assumes (I think if i recall correctly) a non sprite based character (or catalyst) doing the collisions, mine would be a sprite based game more so...(since a pogo stick doesnt require a ton of phyics based animations, especailly in 2d) so lay the spring constant 'k' on me :) (this post was two part, first if the question was stupid im sorry im just not sure where to start, second part just putting the fun idea out there) thanks

Advertisement
No time to think about this in detail right now, but it sounds like it could be a quite addicting little game! (Ever seen Katamari Damacy? I'm thinking something totally simple, that can be interesting to the most casual of game players.)

thanks I had the same idea, but to do proof of concept i need to get down the other things...there are of course more ideas for this thing milling in my head, but they are witheld to protect the innocent ;) (and i gotta get the basics working first)

and oh ya, i did play katamari, great game. Ya i tend to favor more simplistic games that play divinely than anything else now adays in my old age :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!